Why daily bleach additions?

Keeping it above minimum at all times is the goal. If you are able to do that by staying between target and minimum, awesome. If you have to go a little above target to make sure you never go below minimum, that is ok too.

fralo,

My CYA = 70 so the range I should target my FC at 10ppm and never let it get below 5ppm from PoolMath (5 to 8 from the CYA chart). This is not a range. It is where you want to keep your FC if at all possible (the Target), and the minimum value where the chlorine is not being effective anymore in keeping your pool clean (the Minimum). I should strive to keep my FC at 10ppm, while never letting it dip below 5ppm.

Good way to think about this is that it is fine for me to be a small bit below 10ppm or above 10ppm. It is not ok to be below 5ppm. Of course any amount above my target FC is not really helping since your Target FC is the optimum value to keep your pool troublefree. The amount above the FC is just costing me more money to maintain (i.e., more chlorine) unless I am in SLAM mode. I am safe to swim up to my shock level FC of 28. Of course all that extra chlorine may not hurt me, but it may start bleaching out your swim trunks. :)

Sorry to confuse. You know how us fellow Panhandler's are? :)

This site actually has two places that are recommended where you can find your Target FC and Minimum FC.

The first place is the http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock chart. This chart is part of Pool School and includes the recommendations for Non-SWG and SWG pools. This chart also contains the SLAM levels you should aspire towards if you should get algae.

The second place to find Target and Minimum FC is the PoolMath calculator (http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html). Though similar to the CYA/Chlorine chart recommendations, it is not the same.

For instance if you look up a CYA=70 (my pool), you will find at the Chart your target FC=8 and min FC=5. However if you go to the calculator link at the top of this page, you will see your target FC=10 and min FC=5. Different but close. I choose to use the PoolMath calculator of 10ppm for my goal since the extra boost is not harmful and I would rather have a larger range before I hit minimum. I do NOT want to take a chance of having to do a SLAM.

The main point is that you want to keep your pool FC at a level where algae does not start flourishing. I use the PoolMath calculator because I do not like to have my FC anywhere near the minimum, and losing 3ppm per day in the Summer would place me right on the minimum if I chose to use the Chart FC. I am paranoid that way. I am sure that anywhere between FC =8 to FC=10 would be adequate to stop algae growth. I just choose to be safe than sorry.

Remember, the most important thing is to not let the FC drop below the minimum for your CYA level ... and those numbers match between PoolMath and the pool school chart.

I think we will try to get the targets to match too.

This entire thread is why SWG's were invented. They add a tiny bit of chlorine continuously, so that there isn't a "raise and drop" of FC.

That said, the way you are doing it is perfectly fine as long as something doesn't go wrong (like a big pile of leaves or a small rodent get into your water). Oh, and if you have a lot of people in the pool, check the levels soon after they leave...just in case...

This entire thread is why SWG's were invented. They add a tiny bit of chlorine continuously, so that there isn't a "raise and drop" of FC.

That said, the way you are doing it is perfectly fine as long as something doesn't go wrong (like a big pile of leaves or a small rodent get into your water). Oh, and if you have a lot of people in the pool, check the levels soon after they leave...just in case...

I wish I could get a SWG. That would be optimum. I do not know about the OP, but for me, my pool warranty is invalid if I get a SWG. But it would definitely be the way to go.

Also great advice on checking your water. I actually raise my FC a couple of ppm when I know we are going to have a lot of people in the pool. This ensures no problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.