need help identifying valve for vacuum return

Jul 6, 2016
Gainesville, FL
my pool has a vacuum return line (pressure). Can you help me locate the valve to open it? the valve marked "return line" shuts off the two return jets- but it does not turn on the vacuum line. Not sure where the water goes when this valve is closed.

Attachments

• pool map.jpg
    pool map.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 67
Yes, the line you have marked "Return Line?" is the pool return. It is directly after the puck chlorinator.

The open pipe with the "?" makes me wonder if it is to the spa heater?

Are you sure you don't have a suction side vac set up, instead of a pressure cleaner? I only ask because you only have one return line to the pool but 3 from it.

Yes, the line you have marked "Return Line?" is the pool return. It is directly after the puck chlorinator.

The open pipe with the "?" makes me wonder if it is to the spa heater?

Are you sure you don't have a suction side vac set up, instead of a pressure cleaner? I only ask because you only have one return line to the pool but 3 from it.

yes- I remember water coming out of it when the inspector was working on the pool.

Archer,

I too believe that you have a "suction" vacuum line and not a "pressure" vacuum line..

You have three lines coming into your pump. My guess is you have one skimmer, one main drain and one for your suction side cleaner. If you have two skimmers, then I would also suspect your main drain is connected through one of the skimmers.

Just a guess, of course, but I suspect the one with the broken handle is for your vacuum line

But, since the Aquabot Breeze 4WD in your signature, is a DC operated unit, I can't but wonder if we even understand your question?? Are you really looking for a pipe going into your pool that operates a water powered cleaner???

Jim R.

Archer,

I too believe that you have a "suction" vacuum line and not a "pressure" vacuum line..

You have three lines coming into your pump. My guess is you have one skimmer, one main drain and one for your suction side cleaner. If you have two skimmers, then I would also suspect your main drain is connected through one of the skimmers.

Just a guess, of course, but I suspect the one with the broken handle is for your vacuum line

But, since the Aquabot Breeze 4WD in your signature, is a DC operated unit, I can't but wonder if we even understand your question?? Are you really looking for a pipe going into your pool that operates a water powered cleaner???

Jim R.

I am positive it is a pressure line. I held my hand against it when the inspector turned it on and there was high pressure water coming out! (I have two skimmers and a bottom drain; bottom drain is sealed off which is probably why that broken valve is in closed position)

the reason is I found an old Polaris 360 in the shed (from previous owners) and I would like to use it in addition to the Aquabot.

Archer,

What does the port look like where you felt high pressure water? What size pipe is it? Does it look different than a regular return? How may returns do you have, not including the one you believe is for the vacuum?

Did the inspector say it was for a pressure side cleaner?

Your pictures shows no evidence of a pressure side cleaner outlet. Maybe a picture of what is on the other side of the wall might help..

Jim R.

Archer,

What does the port look like where you felt high pressure water? What size pipe is it? Does it look different than a regular return? How may returns do you have, not including the one you believe is for the vacuum?

Did the inspector say it was for a pressure side cleaner?

Your pictures shows no evidence of a pressure side cleaner outlet. Maybe a picture of what is on the other side of the wall might help..

Jim R.

this is the vacuum port:
IMG_2761.jpg

Archer,

Looks like an adapter that replaces a regular eyeball pool return, which allows your 360 to be connected. But.. if that were true, you'd think it would have flow as soon as you turned on the pump??

Let's hope someone with a 360 can chime in.

Does water come out when the pump is on? What happens when you turn what looks like a knob on the side?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Archer,

Looks like an adapter that replaces a regular eyeball pool return, which allows your 360 to be connected. But.. if that were true, you'd think it would have flow as soon as you turned on the pump??

Let's hope someone with a 360 can chime in.

Does water come out when the pump is on? What happens when you turn what looks like a knob on the side?

Thanks,

Jim R.

no water coming out of this- only the two return jets. Turning that side knob didn't do anything.

Ok, let's try something different. Backwards, in my mind-

On the first pic that you have three pipes labeled "suction lines" the far left hand valve is turned unlike the other two to the right of it. If you open that one up...what happens?

I'm wondering if all your "returns from pool" lines are tied together into that one pipe labeled "return line" sitting in front of the puck Chlorinator, and the three pipes labeled "suction lines" are in fact actually the pressure return lines?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

On the first pic that you have three pipes labeled "suction lines" the far left hand valve is turned unlike the other two to the right of it. If you open that one up...what happens?

I'm wondering if all your "returns from pool" lines are tied together into that one pipe labeled "return line" sitting in front of the puck Chlorinator, and the three pipes labeled "suction lines" are in fact actually the pressure return lines?

is there any risk of damaging the equipment? e.g. If I close all suction lines what happens?

Do not ever close *all* the lines, but you can certainly tweak them, turning midway to test if that increases/decreases flow. Also if you do want to close one or two leave the third open while you test them out.

Monitor your pressure gauge also as you turn dials to see if it alters in any way?

tried all 3. no luck:( guess it's gonna cost me a service call to figure it out

Archer,

Well the last pic shows that the three valves on the right of your original pic are suction lines as you have them labeled.

Do you have a Spa, I don't see that in your signature? The only valve I see in your pics, that could have anything to do with the vacuum output, is the one labeled "Spa Jets"???

Jim R.

Archer,

Well the last pic shows that the three valves on the right of your original pic are suction lines as you have them labeled.

Do you have a Spa, I don't see that in your signature? The only valve I see in your pics, that could have anything to do with the vacuum output, is the one labeled "Spa Jets"???

Jim R.

yes there is a non-heated spa. That valve does not affect the vacuum port

Have you unscrewed the vacuum port fitting from the wall to make sure the connector isn't somehow stopping flow? Maybe the pressure relief valve is messed up, and there's a screen to catch debris that could be clogged.

Have you unscrewed the vacuum port fitting from the wall to make sure the connector isn't somehow stopping flow? Maybe the pressure relief valve is messed up, and there's a screen to catch debris that could be clogged.

you were right! took the fitting off and whoa!

what is this part called? it is filled with gunk and I want to replace:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.