Algae and/or other bacteria won't die

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems there are way too many variables to get a reliable test. It's not so crucial when you are just maintaining normal levels, I suppose. What I'm mainly talking about is when SLAMing and trying the Overnight FC drop

There are just too many variables:

-Is the water sample exactly the same amount every time?
-Are my scoops of powder the same?
-Is the drop size the same?
-is the timing between drops consistent?
-How long am I waiting when doing the CC test? It's clear at first but turns pink after longer than 5 seconds or so

Any one of those can throw off my overnight FC reading and I would have no idea if I am actually losing chlorine or one of those variables came into play.

This is just ridiculous and there's no way to accurately reproduce any given test. All I'm doing is wasting hundreds of dollars on bleach and reagents it seems.

There has to be a better way to do this. Now I'm over here using syringes to get sample water. This definitely isn't trouble free for this guy. LOL

Sample sizer and speed stir. Sample sizer for consistent water samples and speed stir so you can just count drops.

I feel these are so important when I thought that I threw them out with and old desk in the garage, I re-bought them this year.

Just found them in the laundry room this month, on a shelf, under something. DOH!! I hate when I forget hiding spots.

Sample sizer and speed stir. Sample sizer for consistent water samples and speed stir so you can just count drops.

I feel these are so important when I thought that I threw them out with and old desk in the garage, I re-bought them this year.

Just found them in the laundry room this month, on a shelf, under something. DOH!! I hate when I forget hiding spots.

I have a speed stir on the way. I'm trying to get rid of as many variables as possible before I just make this a pond or get rid of it totally

I've already run out of the 2oz size twice so I grabbed these and 35 gallons of bleach in a last ditch effort.

I'm holding the fc at 16 but maybe I should bring it up to 50 or so since 25-30 didn't work last time

What do you guys think?

1533366e327f1876d5a4f778cd7e8405.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do those have expiration dates on them? Taylor started printing expiration dates on all of their bottles in January of 2015, before that they only had lot numbers. Expiry date is printed as 24 months after pack date

Yes, it has happened to me twice. That is why brushing is important. To expose the algae to chlorine, stir up the water, eliminate dead spots and get the algae into the water and off surfaces.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, it has happened to me twice. That is why brushing is important. To expose the algae to chlorine, stir up the water, eliminate dead spots and get the algae into the water and off surfaces.

Ok, thanks. I'm vacuuming and brushing twice a day. I vacuum and brush in the morning and then again at night. I just want this to be over.

How do I know when to end the SLAM if I am passing these tests? My first SLAM didn't work because of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.