Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Algae and/or other bacteria won't die

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae and/or other bacteria won't die

I've read through the process of slamming, brushing, balancing everything, etc... I can't seem to get rid of this issue, though.

First off the pool is and always has been crystal clear and all the chems have been correct except the chlorine has been kept on the low side due to lack of knowledge and not having the fas-dpd test until about 4 days ago. I started noticing what looked like dirt or what I thought was dead algae. I figured out it wasn't dirt or dead algae, it was very much alive and well mustard algae. It seems to all come from under the wedding cake steps where there was quite the algae bloom. I put 32oz of algaecide in but that didn't work either.

I removed and cleaned the steps then put them back in, I brush the pool and vacuum it everyday, I remove and spray off the filter everyday, monitor the chems constantly and I don't know what else to do. I've been holding the FC at 25ppm+ for 5 days. How long is this process supposed to take? It dropped 3 ppm last night which is way better than before but during the day it drops 1.5 an hour. When it was running correctly it dropped 2-2.5 per day. It gets direct sun all day long.

Here are some details on the pool and chem levels

Using the taylor 2006 kit
    AG 24x15 oval 10,000 gallon vinyl

FC= been holding it at 25-30 for 5 days
    CC= .5
    PH= 7.2
    TA= 50
    CH= 180
    CYA= 45

If you need more details please ask. This is driving me nuts

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae and/or other bacteria won't die

I suspect part of the problem is the algaecide you used, there is a reason it is NOT listed as part of the SLAM process, depending on the type of algaecide you used it can confuse the process and cause chlorine consumption and or CC's to be shown on the test. The same goes for various yellow out mustard algae products. The reason we don't include them in the process is not only that they are not needed, but that they can actually make this harder by confusing the test results.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    I suspect part of the problem is the algaecide you used, there is a reason it is NOT listed as part of the SLAM process, depending on the type of algaecide you used it can confuse the process and cause chlorine consumption and or CC's to be shown on the test. The same goes for various yellow out mustard algae products. The reason we don't include them in the process is not only that they are not needed, but that they can actually make this harder by confusing the test results.
    Cool, so now what?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by klynne View Post
    add 5 lb of alkalinity increase filter 4 hours add 1 lb of ph increase filter another 4 hours or longer then shock your pool Meaning if the 8 hours puts you in the middle of the day or night wait till evening to shock pool Your water is out of balance chemicals work better in a balanced pool

No. I have a vinyl pool. PH climbs too quickly with a higher TA. Thanks for trying, though!

5. Back To Top    #5

I would suggest continuing SLAM level and do the overnight chlorine loss test again to confirm the algae / algaecide has burned off

p.s remember that pH test is not valid when FC is over 10 ppm
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Algae and/or other bacteria won't die

Roger that, ph is not my concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #7

Hang in there and don't give up or get frustrated! You're doing great! It took a while longer than you might imagine for the algae to show up, and it will take a little while to rid yourself of it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Water is still clear. Hopefully the algae is almost dead and I can stop the slam soon.

IMG_1115.jpg

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't really have anything to add, other than to keep up what you are doing. If the pool is not in use, you might remove the steps altogether just to eliminate that as a possible haven for algae.
    6000 gal Intex 16'x48" Ultra frame AG
    Splapool 4500 GPH 1 hp pump w/19" sand filter
    Intex Krystalclear SWG EC8110
    Hayward Dyna-skim
    Intex Auto Robot "Wally"

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    I don't really have anything to add, other than to keep up what you are doing. If the pool is not in use, you might remove the steps altogether just to eliminate that as a possible haven for algae.
    Thanks for the reply! The pool would be in use but the algae and high chlorine is preventing that at the moment. We might switch to a ladder if necessary.

11. Back To Top    #11

You have been having little feedback because you seem to be doing all the right things.
    You should notice your overnight loss to continue to fall and then one day you will pass, prob in the next few days

Only thing I could suggest is have you checked your skimmer, there may be a bit of algae hiding out there

There is no problem with swimming if you meet the following three:
    You can see a swimmer on the bottom of the pool - check
    Your ph is between 7.2 and 7.8 - check
    Your FC is above minumum and below slam
    So let your FC fall to 1ppm beneath your slam level, swim away and bump the FC up after your swim
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

If I upload a video does anyone think they can tell what this stuff is that keeps coming back? I passed SLAM for two nights in a row and dropped down to normal levels in a day and a half( I went from 30 ppm FC to 6.4) but now that stuff is back on the floor.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

A pic or video is just fine. Having said that, I believe the answer will be dead algae.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    A pic or video is just fine. Having said that, I believe the answer will be dead algae.
    Is it normal for FC to fall that fast? The pool is in full TX sun all day, btw

15. Back To Top    #15

Here's the video and a question........

Just got in the pool for the first time since the SLAM. The entire cove(perimeter) Feels like sandpaper and appears to be ruined. Any ideas what happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f6SDspIs8Y

16. Back To Top    #16

A lot of that looks like simple dirt, though dead algae can look that way. Do the dark spots "poof" up and disappear when you touch them? The steps look good on the inside, don't know about under the bottom. As far as the liner being "ruined" that is hard to determine from here. Your FC level hasn't been that high for an abnormal length of time. Is it bleached as well? How about adding your detailed info to your signature:Pool School - Getting Started so we will have a reference to what you have. At least the water is clear and the rest of your chemistry is in line. You stated that your CYA is 45...typically that would be 50 - always rounded up. Brush it frequently to keep any live clusters broken up so the chlorine can get to them. As soon as they solidify they create a film to protect them from the chlorine. You're on the way....just keep going!
    16X32 AB, Jacuzzi Laser 190 19" sand filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Vickery View Post
    A lot of that looks like simple dirt, though dead algae can look that way. Do the dark spots "poof" up and disappear when you touch them? The steps look good on the inside, don't know about under the bottom. As far as the liner being "ruined" that is hard to determine from here. Your FC level hasn't been that high for an abnormal length of time. Is it bleached as well? How about adding your detailed info to your signature:Pool School - Getting Started so we will have a reference to what you have. At least the water is clear and the rest of your chemistry is in line. You stated that your CYA is 45...typically that would be 50 - always rounded up. Brush it frequently to keep any live clusters broken up so the chlorine can get to them. As soon as they solidify they create a film to protect them from the chlorine. You're on the way....just keep going!
    Yes, the dark spots poof up and disappear.

As far as the liner, it doesn't look bleached but I think it has been damaged by pouring the bleach around the perimeter. I've never done that until the slam because I figured it would help get the bleach where the return doesn't reach. I normally just pour it into the skimmer basket and never had a problem.
    So I guess the bleach settled and it basically blistered up.

Is that something that would happen? It's the only thing that I can think of.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by xcrazydx View Post
    So I guess the bleach settled and it basically blistered up.

Is that something that would happen? It's the only thing that I can think of.

I don't know if that could happen or not. Never heard of it happening anyway, but I''m no expert. Are you using a brush for vinyl pools and not one with sharp metal bristles?
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Did you have the pump running when you added the bleach?

When did you last vacuum?

When did you last brush?

If you have an auto vac, when did you last run it.

The video tells me it may have been a while. you are certainly not ready to finish the SLAM. I saw lots of live algae in your video.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by mickey4paws View Post
    I don't know if that could happen or not. Never heard of it happening anyway, but I''m no expert. Are you using a brush for vinyl pools and not one with sharp metal bristles?
    Soft bristle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast