Is this the right way to close a pool?

Sep 13, 2016
Waterville, ME
I'm a new pool owner (just bought the house two weeks ago). We live in Maine where things start to freeze sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas, with an average annual snowfall of 71". The seller of the home told me that every fall after the leaves have fallen, but before freezing hits, he drains the pool to about halfway. Then he apparently left the pool alone - didn't cover it, add anti-freeze, or anything. He was under the impression that covering the pool up here is what causes pool cave-ins or warped walls. Then with snow melt and rain, he says he's got a full pool by spring time. Does this make any sense to you all? He's been doing this for probably 10 years, but I'd love some extra opinions. Thank you!

With an AG pool, a cover can be problematic and many people just do without.

Draining halfway might be excessive. The water inside is what makes the pool structurally stable. Probably won't hurt if you get a lot of precipitation.

Antifreeze won't do any good in the pool unless you replace most of the water with it. It's mostly used as a backup in case in ground plumbing leaks or wasn't quite blown out during closing. No need for it in an AG pool where you can drain all the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.