above ground pool - to close or not to close?

Aug 10, 2014
pawhuska ok
Thank you everyone for the wealth of information on this site yet again!
I have a 18 ' above ground Intex metal frame pool. I have had to continue using the filter that came with the pool, although I suspect it is smaller than is really needed. After fighting all last summer with algae, I closed the pool by just adding an extra bottle or 2 of bleach and lowering water below the filter intake. Then pulled the pump off and left the hoses and the rest attached. I did this in October/November time frame, as it does not get below 50 degrees much before then in Oklahoma. When I opened it this spring, I drained the rest of the water as is was a swamp, shop vac'd the clumps of yellow/brown algae from the bottom, filled, slammed. that worked as long as I kept the chlorine above 5, with cya 30 to 40. Of course, when I ran out of bleach before payday a couple times, it comes right back, so have been fighting algae still quite a bit this summer, but not swamplike. I am nervous about returning to full swamp conditions if I close it again this year. We typically have a few days to maybe a week at a time of below freezing weather, in a mild year it will warm up again the next day. The other option I see is to take it down completely, which I really am not looking forward to, and storage would be an issue if I had to do that.

I'd keep it open, balanced, and circulating minimally until freeze temps are indicated. Not much chemical or pump time required. Just keep it running during those brief freeze spells.

Hi Christy,
Nothing wrong with leaving it going over winter as long as you dont get long extended hard freezes. The pool will not use nearly as much chlorine with the cold water temps either.

I know Im a bit south of you, but 2 years ago, we had temps of below 20 for a week or 2 at a time and no troubles here. The water in my pool never froze.

I did cover my filter, pump and exposed pipes with a tarp though. If you dont think you'll be below freezing for extended period (weeks), then just make sure your pump is running when its below freezing and you should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.