Threaded plugs for skimmer

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
I want to try to use threaded plugs this year instead of gizmo for my 2 skimmers. My only concern is the other purpose which the gizmo provides, which is ice expansion protection. In each skimmer, I have 2 threaded holes....one that goes back to the pump and the other is just blocked off and goes no where. I am able to screw a gizmo into the dead end hole so I am thinking about using the threaded plug to plug the skimmer line and just screw in a gizmo into the other hole for ice expansion protection. Anyone do this or see any problems with it?

The reason I want to try the threaded is because I feel like I get a more secure connection with the threaded plug than I do with the gizmo.

Not really any reason to use the gizmo that way. The advantage of a gizmo is that it is held down in the water and can't be pushed up by floating or ice expansion. You can get the same effect by packing the skimmer with closed-cell foam like pool noodles and/or empty antifreeze bottles with the lids on and using the screws on the skimmer lid.

I agree, but isn't that what I would be doing by threading the gizmo into the dead end skimmer hole? It would be held down by threading it in.

I just don't see what you gain. I can easily get my gizmo to screw into the hole in the skimmer plenty securely. I'd hate to have to fight a tight plug down in the skimmer if it was stuck at all.

I just don't see what you gain. I can easily get my gizmo to screw into the hole in the skimmer plenty securely. I'd hate to have to fight a tight plug down in the skimmer if it was stuck at all.

Well....you raise a good point about fighting a tight plug down in the skimmer. I would have to make sure I have some device to easily unthread it in the spring.

However, here is what I think I can gain......I usually have issues with air bubbles around the gizmo, even if I use teflon tape. I think I would get a better seal with the plug. I've also had gizmos crack on me at the threads and that could allow water to seep into the lines. I think I could eliminate that with a threaded plug.

Reactions: daytoga
I want to try to use threaded plugs this year instead of gizmo for my 2 skimmers. My only concern is the other purpose which the gizmo provides, which is ice expansion protection. In each skimmer, I have 2 threaded holes....one that goes back to the pump and the other is just blocked off and goes no where. I am able to screw a gizmo into the dead end hole so I am thinking about using the threaded plug to plug the skimmer line and just screw in a gizmo into the other hole for ice expansion protection. Anyone do this or see any problems with it?

The reason I want to try the threaded is because I feel like I get a more secure connection with the threaded plug than I do with the gizmo.

That will work fine. I also use the white plugs with a rubber o ring. They seal tight in my skimmers since the bottoms are flat and smooth. I also lube those o rings with a little plumbers grease and clean the area where they will seat. I just use a weighted gallon AF jug in each skimmer with about 1/3 filled with AF. I like that the jugs have a little more flexibility to them then the gizzmos.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.