Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Threaded plugs for skimmer

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Threaded plugs for skimmer

    I want to try to use threaded plugs this year instead of gizmo for my 2 skimmers. My only concern is the other purpose which the gizmo provides, which is ice expansion protection. In each skimmer, I have 2 threaded holes....one that goes back to the pump and the other is just blocked off and goes no where. I am able to screw a gizmo into the dead end hole so I am thinking about using the threaded plug to plug the skimmer line and just screw in a gizmo into the other hole for ice expansion protection. Anyone do this or see any problems with it?

    The reason I want to try the threaded is because I feel like I get a more secure connection with the threaded plug than I do with the gizmo.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad JohnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    9,090

    Re: Threaded plugs for skimmer

    Not really any reason to use the gizmo that way. The advantage of a gizmo is that it is held down in the water and can't be pushed up by floating or ice expansion. You can get the same effect by packing the skimmer with closed-cell foam like pool noodles and/or empty antifreeze bottles with the lids on and using the screws on the skimmer lid.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: Threaded plugs for skimmer

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    The advantage of a gizmo is that it is held down in the water and can't be pushed up by floating or ice expansion.
    I agree, but isn't that what I would be doing by threading the gizmo into the dead end skimmer hole? It would be held down by threading it in.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad JohnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    9,090

    Re: Threaded plugs for skimmer

    Quote Originally Posted by run53 View Post
    I agree, but isn't that what I would be doing by threading the gizmo into the dead end skimmer hole? It would be held down by threading it in.
    I just don't see what you gain. I can easily get my gizmo to screw into the hole in the skimmer plenty securely. I'd hate to have to fight a tight plug down in the skimmer if it was stuck at all.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: Threaded plugs for skimmer

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    I just don't see what you gain. I can easily get my gizmo to screw into the hole in the skimmer plenty securely. I'd hate to have to fight a tight plug down in the skimmer if it was stuck at all.
    Well....you raise a good point about fighting a tight plug down in the skimmer. I would have to make sure I have some device to easily unthread it in the spring.

    However, here is what I think I can gain......I usually have issues with air bubbles around the gizmo, even if I use teflon tape. I think I would get a better seal with the plug. I've also had gizmos crack on me at the threads and that could allow water to seep into the lines. I think I could eliminate that with a threaded plug.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    296

    Re: Threaded plugs for skimmer

    Get an o-ring for the gizzmo...that's what I did, no leaks last winter
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

  7. Back To Top    #7
    kywildcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mayfield, KY
    Posts
    502

    Re: Threaded plugs for skimmer

    Quote Originally Posted by 440dodge440 View Post
    Get an o-ring for the gizzmo...that's what I did, no leaks last winter

    Just take gizmo to the store and find one that fits snug on it??, or is there a slot for a O-ring?
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    419

    Re: Threaded plugs for skimmer

    Quote Originally Posted by run53 View Post
    I want to try to use threaded plugs this year instead of gizmo for my 2 skimmers. My only concern is the other purpose which the gizmo provides, which is ice expansion protection. In each skimmer, I have 2 threaded holes....one that goes back to the pump and the other is just blocked off and goes no where. I am able to screw a gizmo into the dead end hole so I am thinking about using the threaded plug to plug the skimmer line and just screw in a gizmo into the other hole for ice expansion protection. Anyone do this or see any problems with it?

    The reason I want to try the threaded is because I feel like I get a more secure connection with the threaded plug than I do with the gizmo.
    That will work fine. I also use the white plugs with a rubber o ring. They seal tight in my skimmers since the bottoms are flat and smooth. I also lube those o rings with a little plumbers grease and clean the area where they will seat. I just use a weighted gallon AF jug in each skimmer with about 1/3 filled with AF. I like that the jugs have a little more flexibility to them then the gizzmos.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    296

    Re: Threaded plugs for skimmer

    I measured the shoulder on he gizzmo and got one to fit snug. There's no slot on mine, but there is a larger diameter just above the threads so the o-ring won't fall off.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Threaded plugs for skimmer

    Quote Originally Posted by 440dodge440 View Post
    Get an o-ring for the gizzmo...that's what I did, no leaks last winter
    Yes, already tried that. I still get air bubbles sometimes even with the o-ring when the mighty mac is still blowing.
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    In the Industry

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    lancaster, ohio
    Posts
    7

    Re: Threaded plugs for skimmer

    I had that problem with a gizzmo i used electrical tape instead of teflon tape it worked for me

  12. Back To Top    #12
    kywildcats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Mayfield, KY
    Posts
    502

    Re: Threaded plugs for skimmer

    Just checked my gizmo and it has O-Rings already installed on it.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •