Low alkalinity and Low PH

Feb 27, 2015
Grand Rapids MI
Hi everyone,

I noticed some algae in the pool today in shadowy areas. I brushed it off and then tested my water. I will be honest I have neglected it a bit as have been busy with work but the water was still crystal clear. I did let the chlorine level drop to basically nothing this week but have hopefully gotten that fixed tonight.

My question now is after testing my alkalinity with my TF test kit it never turned green after adding the two drops of 007 and five drops of 008. It stayed a dark pink / red. I'm assuming this means I have no alkalinity?? Is that possible?

Next I checked my PH levels and they were a very yellow color on the test kit so very low.

My question is what should I do first here? Is the chlorine going to help the numbers adjust and then test again tomorrow to see what they show? If not, do I adjust alkalinity or PH first?

Any suggestions for how much to put in? I have a 18,000 gallon pool. Should I do it all at once or slowly and test? Will arm and hammer washing soda raise TA and pH enough together or will I need something separate for TA?

Also to clarify, I need Arm and Hammer WASHING SODA not BAKING SODA right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was not able to add it last night but I did add it this morning. I added 7 lbs of the washing soda and had to head to work. Came home and TA was showing about 30 and pH was still low on the scale. I added another 3 lbs 7oz box then and checked about 2 hours later. TA was 60 and pH was coming up and probably 6.8 - 7 range. I added another 3lbs 7 oz box and will check again tomorrow morning. Seems like I'm on the right path now right? Thanks for all of the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.