Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long for FC to normalize after Sam?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long for FC to normalize after Sam?

I have a new pool. Last November. I live in Canada so it only opened this year in May. Sorry for not having it in my signature as I'm doing this all from my phone and haven't figured it all out yet. Vinyl liner, SWG Pentair IC40, pool is rectangle 18500 gallons, with autocover.

We went on vacation during a heat wave and had a failure that caused the FC to hit 0 and the pool to get cloudy not green. Could not recover on SWG alone so employed the Slam method and the pool is amazingly clear now and actually not dropping any FC with the SWG at 0% so I've been leaving it uncovered every day hoping the FC would get back to normal but it just won't drop. Still off the charts for my test (yes I know I need a better test kit, next year the pool will be closing soon lol) Just wondering how long it can take for the FC to get back to a normal range? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long for FC to normalize after Sam?

Welcome!!! FC drop can really vary, so can't help you there. I would suggest researching a testkit now as it is tough in Canada. If you can get one soon, you can pretty much assure yourself of opening clear and balanced in the spring. What is the temperature of your water?

3. Back To Top    #3

I like to keep the water around 83F but with the autocover it was closer to 86F all summer with no use of the heater at all.

4. Back To Top    #4

The secret to closing is to wait until the water temp is below 60 degrees and open before it hits 60. See this: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

It looks like you are really close to the USA border. Do you have an address there where you can send a testkit and go pick it up? It would be WAY cheaper!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the tip. I do have family and friends in Michigan.

I guess part of my question that I forgot to ask is do I leave the SWG at 0% while letting to FC normalize or should it be on?

6. Back To Top    #6

Keep it off. The SWG will just add more FC.

7. Back To Top    #7

Another thing to remember is that chlorine is consumed by two things, organics and sunlight. If your pool is algae free (yours looks amazing) and the auto-cover is blocking the sun, your FC drop will take a VERY long time. In addition to leaving the SWG off for a day or two......leave the cover open too.

8. Back To Top    #8

Either get the K-2006C, not 2006A, (you want the 2oz bottles, not the 0.75oz), or the TF-100xl. Whatever is less expensive for you. See here: (original link removed).

- - - Updated - - -

Oops. Wrong link. Here you go: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Great catch by Leebo about keeping the auto-cover open.
    Last edited by MarianParoo; 09-12-2016 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Wrong link!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Did you ever add any stabilizer to your pool? Or did they add it at startup? If so do you recall how much they added (it might be written down in your documents for opening of the new pool). You can still close your cover at night which should help retain heat.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo View Post
    Did you ever add any stabilizer to your pool? Or did they add it at startup? If so do you recall how much they added (it might be written down in your documents for opening of the new pool). You can still close your cover at night which should help retain heat.
    I'm not sure if they added any at startup but they did have me add it in the version of sticks that you put in the skimmer. Last time I had it checked at the pool store my CYA was 50ppm. I have to say my builder was awesome and supported the slam method even just giving me the liquid chlorine that I needed.