Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Min temp for chlorine production

1. Back To Top    #1

Min temp for chlorine production

Is 70 a ballpark number, below which no more chlorine is produced - hoping to last another two weeks but am getting lazy with my solar cover given swim season is over for us! I figure at the end of these next two weeks, water will be closer to 60! Or should I should I just start dumping the bleach in now and give the generator a break?

Thanks all!
    Tom
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Min temp for chlorine production

From what I've seen on my SWG it keep generating down to 50. Around there, it gives a low temp error.

OOPS! around 60 is the correct number!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

What make and model do you have? They are all slightly different but I know my Pentair IntelliChlor throws a cold-water cutoff error at around 58F. Some are spec'd to shut off around 60-62F. It depends, but 60F is generally around the average. It's ok to use all the way down to the cold water cutoff so I would just keep using it until it refuses to generate, then switch to bleach. FC loss rates are so low below 70F that you could probably go a few days without noticing the generator isn't working.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome. Thanks all. Hit 70 this am. Keeping my eye on the FC level - so far so good! Cheers. Tom

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    What make and model do you have?
    Aquarite T-15

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

The Aquarite systems will generate down to 50F.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates