Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Min temp for chlorine production

1. Back To Top    #1

Min temp for chlorine production

Is 70 a ballpark number, below which no more chlorine is produced - hoping to last another two weeks but am getting lazy with my solar cover given swim season is over for us! I figure at the end of these next two weeks, water will be closer to 60! Or should I should I just start dumping the bleach in now and give the generator a break?

Thanks all!
    Tom
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Min temp for chlorine production

From what I've seen on my SWG it keep generating down to 50. Around there, it gives a low temp error.

OOPS! around 60 is the correct number!!
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

What make and model do you have? They are all slightly different but I know my Pentair IntelliChlor throws a cold-water cutoff error at around 58F. Some are spec'd to shut off around 60-62F. It depends, but 60F is generally around the average. It's ok to use all the way down to the cold water cutoff so I would just keep using it until it refuses to generate, then switch to bleach. FC loss rates are so low below 70F that you could probably go a few days without noticing the generator isn't working.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome. Thanks all. Hit 70 this am. Keeping my eye on the FC level - so far so good! Cheers. Tom

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    What make and model do you have?
    Aquarite T-15

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

The Aquarite systems will generate down to 50F.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates