Dirt covers main drain cover

Jun 11, 2016
Boston, MA
This might be a very stupid question. For the first time in the season, I noticed the dirt covers the main drain first time in the season. I always have some dirt on the bottom of deep end, but they have never covered the main drain.

Is is this something I should look into it? No idea how main drain works. It is a big white over on the bottom of deep end so I assume it is main drain cover.

thanks so much.

1) Check your valve setup for the input to your pump. On my pool there is a valve that selects what percentage of water is pull from my two bottom drains and the skimmer. So for example after strong winds if I have lots of leaves and pine needles on my surface, I will increase set to pull mostly from the skimmer to increase its pull. So, make sure it is set to pull from drain.

2) Is this dirt made up of any larger objects like leaves which could be blocking the drain inputs? The drain covers typically have small holes to prevent larger stuff from entering. So you do need to occasionally vacuum the bottom - be it manually or with a robot. I see stuff covering my drain occasionally - especially if I have not covered before some strong winds or a storm. I will brush off then run my robot to clean up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.