Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirt covers main drain cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirt covers main drain cover

This might be a very stupid question. For the first time in the season, I noticed the dirt covers the main drain first time in the season. I always have some dirt on the bottom of deep end, but they have never covered the main drain.

Is is this something I should look into it? No idea how main drain works. It is a big white over on the bottom of deep end so I assume it is main drain cover.

thanks so much.
    Massachusetts
    Vinyl Salt Pool 2011; IC40 SWG; Raypark gas heater; Sta-Rite Dynapro pump; Sta-Rite System 3 Filter S7M120; Pool size: app 25000 Ga
    first time pool owner. First year too.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dirt covers main drain cover

Do you brush your pool? That will get the schmutz off the drain covers and into circulation so that the filter can pick it up.

Vacuuming helps too.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

There are no "stupid" questions! Yippee has you, but I am wondering if your main drain is pulling water into the filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I did. But the dirt get back to cover the main drain after a while.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mean my main drain is not pulling the water?
    Massachusetts
    Vinyl Salt Pool 2011; IC40 SWG; Raypark gas heater; Sta-Rite Dynapro pump; Sta-Rite System 3 Filter S7M120; Pool size: app 25000 Ga
    first time pool owner. First year too.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

1) Check your valve setup for the input to your pump. On my pool there is a valve that selects what percentage of water is pull from my two bottom drains and the skimmer. So for example after strong winds if I have lots of leaves and pine needles on my surface, I will increase set to pull mostly from the skimmer to increase its pull. So, make sure it is set to pull from drain.

2) Is this dirt made up of any larger objects like leaves which could be blocking the drain inputs? The drain covers typically have small holes to prevent larger stuff from entering. So you do need to occasionally vacuum the bottom - be it manually or with a robot. I see stuff covering my drain occasionally - especially if I have not covered before some strong winds or a storm. I will brush off then run my robot to clean up.
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.