Madmike23: New Pool Owner in SoCal. Ecostar vs Intelliflo vs ???

Sep 12, 2016
Ontario, CA
Hello, we just moved into a home in Ontario, CA and its burdened with a pool and spa. Well I'm trying to turn this great burden into a great plus! I'm new to this forum and so far I've learned so much already.

Just called a guy to come out in a few days to give me a run down on how to work it all. I tried to vacuum the dirt from the bottom of the pool and it seem to just be spitting it all into the spa. None of the levers are marked, and I have no instructions! LOL

I would love to get a robotic vacuum (recommendations?), but first I want to get variable speed pump to save on energy. I've got a Hayward single speed now (w/ Jandy cartridge filter). I had my eye on the Hayward Ecostar since it says it can lower speeds to 10% and save ton of money BUT this forum people are saying there are many problems with it. So maybe an Pentair Intelliflo? Any suggestions? I'm a total Noob, I just found out what 'shock' was a couple days ago. Please help!

Mike,

Welcome to TFP, you will love it here... :lovetfp:

People tend to love what they have, so since I'm a Pentair kind of guy, I love the Intelliflo pump. I have three of them (3 different pools) and they all have worked flawlessly, (Knock on wood.. ;))

In my mind anyway, the Pentair Intelliflo is the "Gold Standard" for VS pumps.

Have you thought how you are going to chlorinate your pool? You'll find that around here, we don't care much for 3" tabs or tab feeders.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome!!!

I'm in the Chino area, sorry can't be very helpful on the equipment choices as the house we bought 10 months ago, the equipment is 20+ years old!

But, you came to the right place, very knowledgeable ppl here!

Have you thought how you are going to chlorinate your pool? You'll find that around here, we don't care much for 3" tabs or tab feeders....

D'oh! I just bought a bunch of shock and tablets at Costco. LOL. So how do you chlorinate your pool? I just called a pool guy, he's coming out tomorrow, but in the mean time he said for me to go to Home Depot, get a 4 gallons of liquid and dump it in, so he can check it when he comes.

...I'm in the Chino area, sorry can't be very helpful on the equipment choices as the house we bought 10 months ago, the equipment is 20+ years old! But, you came to the right place, very knowledgeable ppl here!

Thanks for the welcome, I'm at the border of Ontario/Chino at Vineyard. Our equipment is probably from the early 90's also, so I'm guessing it may be at end of life soon. Heater works, but is pretty rusty; and I want to upgrade the pump only to save money. My friend is renting a house with single speed pump and his bill is through the roof! We're both 1st time pool people also.

Right on!! I'm near Mountain and Chino Ave. I was lucky to grow up with a pool, so when we were looking for houses, I wasn't too scared to buy a house with a pool. LoL The good thing about my current equipment is that everything works, our electric bill isn't too bad, but I recently had to re-plumb some of the piping and I guess just from moving stuff around a leak developed on the filter at the unions. The bad thing is, since my filter is about 20 years old, they dont make parts for them anymore, so maybe once a major component dies, I will look into replacing everything.

Also, there is a pool supply on Euclid and Schaefer that sells higher strength liquid chlorine and muriatic acid than you will find at home depot:

Paradise Pool Supplies Repairs

I also go to another pool supply place in Chino:

Malins Pool Patio Supplies, Inc. - Pool Shop Chino CA

They are on Riverside Dr. & East End Ave. (maybe a little to far West for you), I personally think they're prices are a little cheaper.

Right on!! I'm near Mountain and Chino Ave. I was lucky to grow up with a pool, so when we were looking for houses, I wasn't too scared to buy a house with a pool. LoL The good thing about my current equipment is that everything works, our electric bill isn't too bad, but I recently had to re-plumb some of the piping and I guess just from moving stuff around a leak developed on the filter at the unions. The bad thing is, since my filter is about 20 years old, they dont make parts for them anymore, so maybe once a major component dies, I will look into replacing everything.

Also, there is a pool supply on Euclid and Schaefer that sells higher strength liquid chlorine and muriatic acid than you will find at home depot:

Paradise Pool Supplies Repairs

I also go to another pool supply place in Chino:

Malins Pool Patio Supplies, Inc. - Pool Shop Chino CA

They are on Riverside Dr. & East End Ave. (maybe a little to far West for you), I personally think they're prices are a little cheaper.

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out. Do you do your own pool maintenance? or do you have a company doing check ups? Thanks.