Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2-speed Hayward Tristar - won't start on high

1. Back To Top    #1

2-speed Hayward Tristar - won't start on high

Hi TFP,
    My motor is acting strange. It will not start on high speed - it will hum/buzz for about 1 second, then stop and wait a minute, buzz, stop.....etc. It will start just fine on low, and once running it will happily switch between high and low. For the time being, I have it set such that it starts on low and later switches to high for cleaning, so I don't think it's a crisis yet.

I've read enough stories on here to suspect that it is related to a switch or capacitor, but would appreciate any help in starting that troubleshooting process. Thanks!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2-speed Hayward Tristar - won't start on high

Sounds like it might have something to do with the centrifugal switch. That controls how the motor starts. Check the contacts for corrosion.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, I popped open the back over the weekend. I cleaned the contacts at the end of the copper strips (I think these are the right ones?), but that didn't make a difference; it still makes an angry buzzing sound when I try to start it on high.

The motor does have two capacitors, one under the backplate and one hump on top. Is there anything else I can check before I just take the motor into a shop?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

I would check the start capacitor next using a multimeter.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater