Safety Cover selection help

Jun 11, 2014
Philly, PA
Hi All,

I've finally got my pool rehab and ready to go but now it is time close the pool down in a few weeks. I have been looking at safety covers and I wanted to go with a solid cover with no drains. I wanted to get a loop loc cover but they don't sell directly to consumers and a quote I got from a pool guy seems kinda high. I was going to get a quote from leslies pools but I heard horror stories about them and the guy said the best cover they have is made by GLI. Should I consider installing the pool cover myself or does the cost provided so far seem reasonable for my size pool? No special features except a diving board.

The quotes I got from my pool guy is including installation. My pool is a kidney shaped pool roughly 512sq ft.

Loop loc

Ultra-Loc solid with drain panels - $3535
Ultra-Loc solid with no drain panels - $3745
Loop-Loc Mesh - $3995

Merlin

SmartMesh - $3775

Dura-Mesh - $3050

Solid XLS with pump - $3875

Our loop loc mesh was $5700 installed. I recommend the mesh.

XxEG7Tq.jpg

Our cover pricing was very much inline with your pricing in the mid-upper $3K's IIRC. We have Merlin Smartmesh. No reason to go with Duramesh - get the best mesh you can get. I also see no need to get a solid cover. Loop-Loc mesh would be equivalent to Smartmesh I suspect. You could install, but eh, I'm over saving a few hundred dollars to have it done quick and right in many cases. I'm ok with letting someone make a few bucks from time to time. Still a DIY'er at heart though.

Scroll down a few posts on the page below to see ours. I think our tan looks sharp.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/53452-Pool-Build-Baltimore/page6

Thanks for the suggestions. Any reason why you both suggest mesh over the solid? I have about 50 trees around my property and pool so you can imagine the leaf fall and debris in the fall. I would rather open a clear pool and spend less time and cost on cleaning debris off the pool floor after opening.

Nothing will physically get through either except water. The only issue is if you would have leaves accumulate on the mesh cover when it gets covered in snow which would then allow the cover to drop to the water level and the leaves could steep in the pool water. If you think the leaves will blow off to the decking or landscape areas, which they probably will, then no worries. Mesh covers are much lighter and easier (not easy just we easier) to handle. We don't get a lot of leaves but none ever stay on the cover itself after a breeze.
You won't open to a green pool if you close late and open early, so close after the water drops below 60 degrees and open before it reaches 60 degrees. Below that algae doesn't really grow.

You should have well rounded quotes to choose from.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.