High levels of TA

I just ran my first test of chemicals using TF-100. Results are:
    pH - 7.7
    FC - 6.5
    CC - 0
    CH - 125
    TA - 320
    CYA - 40
    Other than needing to add stabilizer, how do I lower TA? Some other threads seem to indicate using MA.

Considering it will soon be pool closing time, how concerned should I be about balancing levels now, as opposed to when the pool is opened next year?
    Rexd, 24' X 48" vinyl round pool installed 2007, new liner installed 2012, Doheny 1.5 HP single speed pump installed 2015, Aqua Trol SWG installed 2010, Hayward 200 lb sand filter installed 2010.

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide

Re: High levels of TA

To be honest I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it. Just keep pH down until you close it and see where you are come spring.

Also, make sure you wipe the tip after every drop. It might be lower than that.

You should up your CYA next spring as welledit I see you acknowledge that.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP Rexd,

Are you certain of the TA level? Double check it and if you are, I would suggest working it down. See the link below, and ask questions in the forum if you need too, and we will be glad to help. TA 320 is higher than I would want in any pool, but especially one with a SWG.

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4

I double checked TA the following day and got a reading of 90. Apparently, I did something wrong the first time.
    Rexd, 24' X 48" vinyl round pool installed 2007, new liner installed 2012, Doheny 1.5 HP single speed pump installed 2015, Aqua Trol SWG installed 2010, Hayward 200 lb sand filter installed 2010.