Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM - FC too high

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM - FC too high

I found green algae on the bottom of the pool yesterday, so I went and got some bargain bleach last night. This is the first time I've SLAMed. CYA was 70, shock FC = 28.

Somehow I made an error using PoolMath, and I thought I was supposed to add 633 oz 8.25% bleach instead of 605 oz. Five gallons is 640 oz, so I just dumped 5 gallons in. Apparently the bargain bleach was more concentrated than 8.25% as well because raising FC from 6.5 to 30 should have taken 661 fl oz, which is more than I added.

I tested just now, an hour after adding the bleach, and I'm at FC = 38. Is this a problem for my pool's integrity? Do I need to drain and add water? Or just monitor and let it fall naturally?
    27'x52" round, 18,500 gal, vinyl liner, resin Discovery AGP installed May 2016
    Aqua Trol SWG, Hayward 19" sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, Dolphin S50 robot, well water
    TF100 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM - FC too high

Your pool will be fine. Just let it come down naturally on it own.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Just monitor and let it come down to the desired SLAM level and keep on from there. It shouldn't be a problem.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I would guess the error is the pool capacity. When I enter a 27 foot round pool with 48 inches of water depth into the "Estimating Pool Volume" section of pool math I get 17,100 gallons.

While it's not a large difference, it will throw off your calculations.

For example, in 17,100 gallons it takes 595oz of 8.25% to go from 6.5ppm to 30ppm. In 18,500 gallons it would take 644oz.

As mentioned, the pool will be fine, let it drift down naturally. According to pool math, in 17K gallons it takes 25oz of 8.25% bleach to add 1ppm FC.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

And do plenty of brushing while you have the chlorine at this (unintentional) high level, if you have the time. That will assure that you are exposing the algae to the chlorine in the most effective way (brushing breaks down a protective film or layer than can be formed by some organisms when they settle/grow on a surface, such as the wall or floor of your pool).
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! I had it set at 4.5 ft depth. I don't remember why I chose that instead of 4 ft.
    27'x52" round, 18,500 gal, vinyl liner, resin Discovery AGP installed May 2016
    Aqua Trol SWG, Hayward 19" sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, Dolphin S50 robot, well water
    TF100 Test kit