Clueless Newbie

Shock/Slam target is 28, we are at 30.5 by just adding 4 gals of bleach. So we need to maintain the level of 28 until the pool clears up and we pass the OCLT & CC correct? (to add a little twist, it has started to rain and was not calling for it and now it says it's going to rain on and off until Fri... will this effect everything badly?)

update 1 hr later: we just checked the FC level and it is now at 36...is this normal?

Just saw your update. A couple of things come to mind. First, in PoolMath, did you adjust the percent chlorine on the right to the correct strength? Also, is the depth of the water in your pool 4' or is that the wall height?

Either way, it is not a huge problem; we just may have to zero in on something. No worries.

yes water depth is at 4' just remeasured to make certain. The FC dropped to 30 overnight, still over SLAM target. Yes I adjusted to strength & SLAM target # and it said to add 4 121 oz bottles of bleach as we did and went over target. obviously I should not add any more bleach at this time, but should I recheck in an hour or wait a little longer maybe 2hrs?

Just saw your update. A couple of things come to mind. First, in PoolMath, did you adjust the percent chlorine on the right to the correct strength? Also, is the depth of the water in your pool 4' or is that the wall height?

Either way, it is not a huge problem; we just may have to zero in on something. No worries.

Now that your FC has dropped back down closer to your SLAM level, check your FC every couple hours or so if you are available to do so. As for the bleach, not sure if it was understood ..... but on the Poolmath calculator, there's a block in the middle of the "FC" row that shows the current percentage (WEIGHT) of the bleach. By default the program may show 6 (for 6%). So if you are using a stronger percentage bleach (i.e. 8.25, 10, etc), make sure to manually change that number when you are calculating for your FC to add.

Thanks I did notice the strength before adding bleach and adjusted it to the 8.25%, not sure what the deal is. :confused:
So my ultimate goal right now is to keep my SLAM level at or around 28 until the pool clears up correct?
Brushing daily of course to help circulate and kill those little algae buggers.

Now that your FC has dropped back down closer to your SLAM level, check your FC every couple hours or so if you are available to do so. As for the bleach, not sure if it was understood ..... but on the Poolmath calculator, there's a block in the middle of the "FC" row that shows the current percentage (WEIGHT) of the bleach. By default the program may show 6 (for 6%). So if you are using a stronger percentage bleach (i.e. 8.25, 10, etc), make sure to manually change that number when you are calculating for your FC to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SLAM FC fluctuating up w/o adding

In process of SLAM, started at FC = 2, did pool math and said to add 4 121 oz bottles of 8.25% bleach. That brought it to 30 after an hour (didn't add any bleach). rechecked an hour later it went up to 36, left it overnight and it came back down to 30, did not add anything and rechecked it after 2hrs and it drifted back up to 32.5. Is this normal????

You got it Staci. Maintain that FC of 28 as consistently as you can. That's the key. Brushing - yes, and of course backwash if you see your pressure gauge increase by about 25%. It's not an overnight process, but it works well. If after a couple days you don't continue to see progress, you might consider doing another CYA test just to make sure you're at the right FC SLAM/shock level. If you have anymore questions, just let us know. Have a nice day.

Gauge is broken (is it a necessity?)...my husband has been checking by feeling if the flow is not as strong as suggested by prior owner. Can a new gauge be purchased at a Home Depot or Lowes?

You got it Staci. Maintain that FC of 28 as consistently as you can. That's the key. Brushing - yes, and of course backwash if you see your pressure gauge increase by about 25%. It's not an overnight process, but it works well. If after a couple days you don't continue to see progress, you might consider doing another CYA test just to make sure you're at the right FC SLAM/shock level. If you have anymore questions, just let us know. Have a nice day.

Gauges are available locally - even the pool store. :) But you can also order one from TFTestkits.com that is glycerin filled and known for very good quality at a good price. They're under $15 I think. While I don't doubt the accuracy and calibration of your hubby's hand-pressure testing, replacing the gauge would be best in the long run. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.