Heater not heating

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
My new plaster is out of the start-up phase, so for the first time last night I fired-up the 1999 Lochinvar Energyrite ERN200 natural gas heater.

It fired right away. No unusual noises. Filter pressure is normal. Return flow is good. "Call for heat" indicator lit when I dialed up the temp.

The flu stack heated up, but the output pipe was barely warmer than the input. So of course in the pool, the water from the return was only a few degrees warmer than the 68° pool water.

I let it run for 90 minutes. Pool temp didn't increase.

I'm assuming a clogged heat exchanger, but before I call for service, does anyone have any guidance or wisdom to offer?

thanks much,

Disappointed & Cold Rollercoastr

Was the heater disconnected from the system when the new plaster was applied and then startup happened? Many times when a pool is re-plastered they do not disconnect the heater from the plumbing thus when the pool is filled and the start-up phase is completed, lots of gunk is stuck in the heater.

If this is what happened, you could very well have a clogged heat exchanger which is not good. It probably will not be cheap to have the unit broken down and cleaned. Not to mention if the pool company used a high acid content to clean the new plaster surface. That acid could have done some damage to the heat exchanger. I would be looking at the pool company paying for the repair if you find gunk inside the heater.

Also keep in mind, that with cool water, you won't notice a huge temp change on water coming out of the heater into the pool. It's a gradual heat up.

Thanks Paul. No, the heater was never disconnected. I will say though, that the start-up was cleaner than I expected. I only brushed-up dust from the surface for the first few days. I have some DE in the filter and pressure never increased after the initial fill - I still haven't had to back-wash.

The pool and the equipment have a history of neglect though, so I wasn't shocked when the heater performed below my expectations. (hopes)

Also keep in mind, that with cool water, you won't notice a huge temp change on water coming out of the heater into the pool. It's a gradual heat up.

Being my first pool, I expected hot water. Could it be that my expectations aren't realistic?? I was confused that the stack was so hot while the pipes were cool, so I was assuming there's an issue. Maybe I'm just being impatient? It would be great to go a whole week without cutting a big check!

What size is the heater? Heaters take time to increase pool temp and it all depends on the BTUs vs the size of the pool. For example, my heater is 336K BTU and will heat my pool ~33K by one degree an hour. It will heat up my inground spa from 70/80 degrees to 101 degrees in about 20 minutes or so.

When I first kick on my heater it will take a several minutes to get really warm water and it never feels hot like it would coming from an indoor tap from a hot water heater.

I am guessing that the "200" in the model number is the BTU input (200,000 BTU). With that at 80% efficiency you are looking at 160,000 BTU output. With 12,000 gallons (100,000 Lbs) of water at best you will see about 1.5 deg of temp rise/hr. Ideally, the water returning to the pool should barely be warmer than the input temp to get the most BTU exchange from the heater. Depending on the ambient air temp, the pool could give up half of that to evaporation/cooling. A solar cover would do wonders to keep the heat in.

Well in 90 minutes you would have 1.5 degree rise which would be difficult to measure accurately with your floating rubber ducky. He could move from a warmer spot to a cooler spot and it is hard to distinguish a one degree rise in those thermometers.

Maybe a test where you can tie up the ducky to so that it stays near a return and run the heater for longer. I'm glad my heater has a digital temp reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everybody. Last night I dialed the heater back up and set the pump to run continuously. This morning, apx 10 hours later, ducky reported 77°. That's almost 1° per hour from a cold start, so it appears that I had unrealistic expectations mixed with a dose of panic.

Tonight I plan to go home and mow the lawn, power-wash the gazebo, shower*, eat dinner and then go for the inaugural swim!!!

I ordered a new thermometer, so ducky will unceremoniously get tossed into the trash any day now.

* I can't imagine feeling dirty and slipping into that sparkling water. Is that a typical TFP side-effect???

I'm so glad that the heater is working... you've had a lot going on and having one less thing to fix/replace is a blessing. Enjoy you inaugural :swim: !

Well, I'm sure many of us become very protective of our pristine water. Just wait until you have the opportunity to enter a public pool or a friend's pool. I've become a pool snob and rarely go in other pools.

I installed an outdoor shower so I can rinse off before I jump in the pool. However, I have been known to jump in the pool with regular clothes if I become too hot and sweaty from yard work.

Does your heater not not have a display to show water temp?

I had purchased a new thermometer to have in the skimmer then realized it was
just as easy to walk the 5 steps to the heater and read the temp there.

Though the pump does need to be running to show it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.