Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater not heating

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater not heating

My new plaster is out of the start-up phase, so for the first time last night I fired-up the 1999 Lochinvar Energyrite ERN200 natural gas heater.

It fired right away. No unusual noises. Filter pressure is normal. Return flow is good. "Call for heat" indicator lit when I dialed up the temp.

The flu stack heated up, but the output pipe was barely warmer than the input. So of course in the pool, the water from the return was only a few degrees warmer than the 68 pool water.

I let it run for 90 minutes. Pool temp didn't increase.

I'm assuming a clogged heat exchanger, but before I call for service, does anyone have any guidance or wisdom to offer?

thanks much,

Disappointed & Cold Rollercoastr
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Heater not heating

Was the heater disconnected from the system when the new plaster was applied and then startup happened? Many times when a pool is re-plastered they do not disconnect the heater from the plumbing thus when the pool is filled and the start-up phase is completed, lots of gunk is stuck in the heater.

If this is what happened, you could very well have a clogged heat exchanger which is not good. It probably will not be cheap to have the unit broken down and cleaned. Not to mention if the pool company used a high acid content to clean the new plaster surface. That acid could have done some damage to the heat exchanger. I would be looking at the pool company paying for the repair if you find gunk inside the heater.

Also keep in mind, that with cool water, you won't notice a huge temp change on water coming out of the heater into the pool. It's a gradual heat up.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Paul. No, the heater was never disconnected. I will say though, that the start-up was cleaner than I expected. I only brushed-up dust from the surface for the first few days. I have some DE in the filter and pressure never increased after the initial fill - I still haven't had to back-wash.

The pool and the equipment have a history of neglect though, so I wasn't shocked when the heater performed below my expectations. (hopes)

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Also keep in mind, that with cool water, you won't notice a huge temp change on water coming out of the heater into the pool. It's a gradual heat up.
    Being my first pool, I expected hot water. Could it be that my expectations aren't realistic?? I was confused that the stack was so hot while the pipes were cool, so I was assuming there's an issue. Maybe I'm just being impatient? It would be great to go a whole week without cutting a big check!
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

What size is the heater? Heaters take time to increase pool temp and it all depends on the BTUs vs the size of the pool. For example, my heater is 336K BTU and will heat my pool ~33K by one degree an hour. It will heat up my inground spa from 70/80 degrees to 101 degrees in about 20 minutes or so.

When I first kick on my heater it will take a several minutes to get really warm water and it never feels hot like it would coming from an indoor tap from a hot water heater.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmm, maybe my expectations are off then!

It's a 200k unit.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I am guessing that the "200" in the model number is the BTU input (200,000 BTU). With that at 80% efficiency you are looking at 160,000 BTU output. With 12,000 gallons (100,000 Lbs) of water at best you will see about 1.5 deg of temp rise/hr. Ideally, the water returning to the pool should barely be warmer than the input temp to get the most BTU exchange from the heater. Depending on the ambient air temp, the pool could give up half of that to evaporation/cooling. A solar cover would do wonders to keep the heat in.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I didn't see any rise in 90 minutes, but I'm not sure the rubber ducky thermometer should be taken too seriously...

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Well in 90 minutes you would have 1.5 degree rise which would be difficult to measure accurately with your floating rubber ducky. He could move from a warmer spot to a cooler spot and it is hard to distinguish a one degree rise in those thermometers.

Maybe a test where you can tie up the ducky to so that it stays near a return and run the heater for longer. I'm glad my heater has a digital temp reading.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    2017 replaster/retile

9. Back To Top    #9

lol while reading that. I've gotta get a more dignified thermometer!!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

A 200K BTU heater on a 12K pool is going to take a pretty good amount of time to heat.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

11. Back To Top    #11

Indeed...I don't see any rise in temp until at least 1 hour 30 min of heat time has elapsed.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

12. Back To Top    #12

Disappointed & Cold Rollercoastr
    Love that sign-off!!! But hate that you are having issues. Sorry, sorry. You have come so far since you first began on TFP. So jealous of your indoor pool. You need it to be comfy!

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks everybody. Last night I dialed the heater back up and set the pump to run continuously. This morning, apx 10 hours later, ducky reported 77. That's almost 1 per hour from a cold start, so it appears that I had unrealistic expectations mixed with a dose of panic.

Tonight I plan to go home and mow the lawn, power-wash the gazebo, shower*, eat dinner and then go for the inaugural swim!!!

I ordered a new thermometer, so ducky will unceremoniously get tossed into the trash any day now.

* I can't imagine feeling dirty and slipping into that sparkling water. Is that a typical TFP side-effect???

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I'm so glad that the heater is working... you've had a lot going on and having one less thing to fix/replace is a blessing. Enjoy you inaugural !

Well, I'm sure many of us become very protective of our pristine water. Just wait until you have the opportunity to enter a public pool or a friend's pool. I've become a pool snob and rarely go in other pools.

I installed an outdoor shower so I can rinse off before I jump in the pool. However, I have been known to jump in the pool with regular clothes if I become too hot and sweaty from yard work.
    Karen
    2017 replaster/retile

15. Back To Top    #15

Does your heater not not have a display to show water temp?

I had purchased a new thermometer to have in the skimmer then realized it was
    just as easy to walk the 5 steps to the heater and read the temp there.

Though the pump does need to be running to show it.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

16. Back To Top    #16

I wish it did. There's no display, just a dial with blue-to-red markings. (I was surprised to find the mfr date of 1999 - it looks even older)

17. Back To Top    #17