Gunite Questions

Jul 4, 2016
Plano/Texas
My new pool was just sprayed with gunite on Friday. While watering, I noticed a couple of odd things. One is by the drains, there's a hole in the gunite that is about 6 in deep, 4-5 in wide and 11 in long. It does not go all the way to the ground. Is there a purpose for this hole? I assumed that since it's right in the middle of the pool that it was intentional and not a miss by the PB.

Secondly, on the stub out by the steps, there's a pretty deep hole under it. About 8 in deep and several inches around which looks like they may have missed that area. Also, around that stub out doesn't look like they put as much gunite as the others. Don't want this to become a potential leak area. Should this be a concern?

The hole in the bottom should go all the way through, or almost, it is a ground water relief hole to prevent the shell from floating before it is filled with water. It will be filled by the plaster crew. There is normally a bowl shaped divot around plumbing stub outs so the plaster crew can seal to the pipes.

Thanks Pooldv. Here are a couple of pics of the stub out ... Does this look ok or should they come back and smooth those areas out?
3abceedb7d3a8cca811632b1c6562372.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the most part Gunite is structural, plaster is water tight. In fact don't be surprised if they drill holes in the deep end and insert rebar to make a makeshift scaffolding to do the tile work. Don't worry about rough spots holes or divots they will scrape the whole shell down and any voids will get filled with plaster.

The 8" hole was probably a void cause by them shooting from above the pipe I would definitely mention how deep it is to the builder just to be sure they are aware, they may just choose to pack it with plaster which should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.