SWG- Brand to brand comparable products.

Aug 16, 2016
Jax, FL
So we have narrowed down our PB choice to 2 or 3 final ones.

1 uses Jandy
1 uses Pentair
1 uses Hayward

I know I had requested as large as possible sized SWG. The Pentair quoted was a IC60. The Hayward did not specify what model. The Jandy model was not specified but builder noted "Sized for 40,000 gal" I am going to gues it is the Jandy PLC1400. Will have to confirm with PB

Our pool is an estimated 20k-22K from each of the builders.

So the question is, what would be the comparable SWG from Hayward and Jandy to the IC60? Any one better or more reliable? Anybody have any preferences?

Thanks!

The IC60 will be the biggest of that bunch as it produces 2lbs/day of chlorine gas. Hayward's largest cell is a T-15 which creates 1.4lbs per day. The Jandy would be their AquaPure 1400 which only produces 1.25lbs/day.

However, with the Pentair system, you have to go with Pentair automation or the output of the cell is limited to 20% incremental adjustments. Whatever you decide, you should have all the equipment (pumps, automation, SWG's) from the same manufacturer just to make compatibility easier.

For a 21,000 gallon pool, the IC-60 will raise the FC level by 11ppm/day (about 3 times what you would need in terms of daily chlorine usage). The Hayward and Jandy units would only produce ~7-8ppm/day of FC. You have to remember one thing - SWG's only create chlorine when the pump is running. So, the smaller the cell, the longer your pump run times will be. The Pentair system will allow you to run the pump the least amount of time.

And, as far as pumps go, get a variable speed pump. When running an SWG pool, you want to be able to dial in the lowest possible pump speed necessary to produce chlorine (all cells have a flow rate limit) with the largest possible cell to reduce pump run time. This optimizes the energy usage. It is a bad idea to pair a single speed pump with an SWG as that is the most expensive way to operate a pool. A 2-speed pump is better, but only if the low speed is capable of running the SWG.

I'm on board with a VS pump to go with SWG. Done deal. Now I'm a bit torn. PB with Jandy uses PebbleTec and we really really like 2 of the PebbleBrilliance finishes. PB with the Pentair equipment uses CL Ind... Wish I could get the PebbleBrilliance AND the Pentair equip... c'est la vie I suppose.

Not to be shilling for any one manufacturer, but the Circupool RJ60+ yields 3.0 grams of Cl2 with a 7 yr
Prorated warranty. Certainly better to reduce pump run times and conserve cell life. If I'm not mistaken, you can
use this SWG in conjunction with any other equipment.

Not to be shilling for any one manufacturer, but the Circupool RJ60+ yields 3.0 grams of Cl2 with a 7 yr
Prorated warranty. Certainly better to reduce pump run times and conserve cell life. If I'm not mistaken, you can
use this SWG in conjunction with any other equipment.

All true BUT you lose some of the built-in diagnostic features on the automation panel when you use a non-OEM SWG. You then have an automation panel to control the pump and schedules but no feedback about the status of the SWG unless you walk back to the equipment pad.

If this were a standalone SWG installation, CircuPool would be an excellent choice. But as an integrated build, you lose too much by mixing & matching different vendors. That's true for any mixing of components from any vendor so no knock on CircuPool in that sense.

JN,
Please elaborate on built-in diagnostic features.
Thanks! Tim

If you hook an IntelliChlor SWG up to a Pentair EasyTouch panel, you can not only control the output settings directly from the ScreenLogic interface (or the wireless RF remote) but you can also get salinity readings and the current systems status (OK-NO ERRORS, COLD CUT-OFF, HIGH SALT, LOW SALT, etc).

If you were to purchase a CircuPool system (or a Hayward AquaRite or Jandy AquaPure) and try to pair it with a Pentair EasyTouch Panel, then the only thing you could do with the EasyTouch panel is use one of the AUX Relays to power the external SWG ON and OFF. If you wanted any diagnostic or runtime info on the SWG, you'd have to walk to the unit and look at it.

The same is true if one had a Jandy iAqualink control panel or a Hayward OmniLogic control panel and attempted to run a CircuPool SWG - the only thing you could do is power the CircuPool ON and OFF, there would be no feedback of information to the panel or remotely to the user.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.