Hello! I have spent over $500.00 in the past two weeks trying to get rid of the green monster! I started with four gallons of bleach and some algicide from WalMart which didn't touch it. I then went to the pool store where I bought shock (Burnout 35) and Banish which didn't touch it. I then used more banish and burnout and some kwik strip filter cleaner. I then did that again along with PH increaser (Bioguard Stabilizer 100) and alkalinity increaser (Balance Pak 100), no visible change! That process took more than a day as I had to follow many steps and still had a green pool when finished! Finally, they told me I needed 24 bags of shock because I had hit chlorine break? I used the burnout 35 over the next 24 hours. I also added some Banish afterward trying to get rid of the remaining green tint. The shock did help but my pool is still not okay. My pool is not really green now but still has a pale green tint and very cloudy water. It also has way too much chlorine. I am exhausted and frustrated and broke! Desperate for help, I discovered this website yesterday so I have a new sense of hope! I do not think I have a good test kit so will order one that you all recommended. My test kit is called hydrotools by swimline. My chlorine test says cl/ br and the level on the test kit is 5.0/10.0 The other test I have is PH and it is 7.8. I also have some test strips which say my free chlorine is safe but my total chlorine is high/high. The strips say my PH is a little high closer to 8.4, hardness is 250, TA is between 180 and 240, and stabilizer is 100.