Bleach vs Flagstone

MarkTX

Bronze Supporter
Nov 15, 2015
Cypress, TX
This is a noob question but I don't know the answer. Does splashing chlorine bleach on flagstone coping bleach the rock? I started out assuming it would, but now I am not so sure. If I can confirm it does not affect the rock, this will make my bleach additions much less troublesome and worry free.

Bleach can affect stone in many ways depending on the constituents of the stone. Some flagstone has iron in it which gives it a reddish blush. Chlorine can definitely cause that to develop more into a brown color. I once splashed a small droplet of bleach on one of the stones in my waterfall and it took the color right out of it. That was 2 years ago and I can still see the spot today.

If you're pouring around your stone, the best thing to do us wet the area down with some pool water to help dilute any splashes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.