Advise on solar covers for rental house

Sep 6, 2016
Edgartown,MA
In reading through the posts, it seems most people find solar covers a great way to save energy on pool heating and keep the pool cleaner with less debris. We're putting in a new gunite pool about 20' x 40' and the house will have weekly renters during the summer. I can't see renters wrestling with a big ungainly cover so I'm interested in solutions that will retract automatically. Looked at CoverStar but they're pretty pricey and they're not really a solar cover.

Help and suggestions appreciated!

If you want it automated, then that comes with a price.

BTW, a "solar" cover really does not do any more than a regular cover. Any cover really keeps the heat in the water by reducing evaporation and does not add heat to the water.

If you want it automated, then that comes with a price.

BTW, a "solar" cover really does not do any more than a regular cover. Any cover really keeps the heat in the water by reducing evaporation and does not add heat to the water.

A solar color costs maybe $500-$1000? I've only gotten auto cover quotes for CoverStar and they're coming in around $15,000! I'm looking for an intermediate option.

Also, my expectation is that there's no way renters are going to deal with taking a color on and off unless it's just a push of a button and then only because they'll enjoy playing with it. Maybe I could sell them on being "green" but this seems like the ploy hotels use to get you to reuse towels.

Automated pool covers are all going to be 10k plus. A solar cover costs less than 200 bucks. We recommend getting the thinnest and cheapest one, usually 8mil. They are easier to handle and work about as well and last about as long as thicker covers. The ploy I would use is that it keeps the water warmer if you put it on at night. So, if you want warmer pool water use the cover. Cutting it in half into two 20x20 covers makes it a lot easier to handle. This would also help, DIY Solar Cover Roller

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.