LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2008
Sidney, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I normally use the Pool School instructions for closing my above ground pool. This year, however, I will have to fully drain the pool within the next couple of weeks in order to make repairs to some of the metal parts. My plan has been to drain the pool, make the repairs, then order a tanker of water (9,000 gallons) to partially refill it before putting on the cover and closing for the winter. The water is trucked in from a municipal source, so it's clean and chlorinated.

My question is how to treat the water before we put the winter cover on. The pump will have been disconnected prior to draining. Should I add chlorine or algaecide during the refill to prepare the water for the winter? Do I have to worry about having 0 CYA before closing? I am in central Illinois and we're expecting daytime temps in the mid 70's and night temps in the low 50's for the rest of the month.

It's just as if not more so to have your pool water balanced before closing as it is during the normal season. If it's gonna be covered, I'd get at least 30 ppm CYA in it. I sure wouldn't risk having 9k gallons of trucked in water going bad on me.

Is there any way to dissolve the CYA without running the pump? It is a soft-side pool that is not conducive to running the pump at 60% full.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.