Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to pull an old pool cover off to replace it for winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to pull an old pool cover off to replace it for winter

Hey guys and gals...

Basically have a tarp like cover that sustained some holes in it over the winter to where if I try to throw a sump pump on the pool the pool water fills back onto the cover and I can never fully drain the cover to pull it to replace it.

Getting ready to swap it for a new one and just probing to see if anyone has a better idea or has faced the same problem.

A couple of years ago I tried the same thing and ended up dumping all the nasty water into my pool and took forever to clean up. Hoping to avoid that.

Thanks in advance!
    -Jay

20800 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    In ground
    Vinyl
    1 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to pull an old pool cover off to replace it for winter

Bump everyone.

Really open to ideas...Seriously!
    -Jay

20800 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    In ground
    Vinyl
    1 hp pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't close or cover the pool but I do use a solar cover and sometimes it gets plenty of junk on it. I scoop as much as I can with a leaf rake and the rest goes into the pool. It is pretty unavoidable.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Pump as much as you can with sump. Scoop if you can with a bucket maybe? If you are that worried, put chlorine in water to sanitize it that way maybe?

Assume pool is not operational? I ask because this past summer my solar cover got pretty mucky - after scooping a few leaves out, i brushed the water towards and directed it right into the skimmer...figured it was better than letting it all go into the pool directly...

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump