Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with valve settings pool/ spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with valve settings pool/ spa

Hi all

I just bought a pre own home with a pool/spa

I can't for the life of me seem to get the valve positions correct for normal use, cleaning (pool sweeper) and spa use

The Jandy Valves were labeled at one time but he AZ heat has discolored them somewhat

There are 4 Valves

Spa suction - 1
    Pool suction / pool cleaner - 1
    Spa return / pool return - 1
    Spa (something faded) - 1

Attached is a picture of the equip

11,300 gal/ IG - Pebble tech pool & Spa / DE - Hayward Filter/2.0 HP pump single speed / Hayward cleaner/ built in early 2000's by California Pools / Taylor K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with valve settings pool/ spa

Welcome to TFP!

The pump suction line on the left is currently set for spa OFF, turning it 180 will close off pool suction and open spa suction. So, in the pic the suction is coming from the pool. The middle pool suction line is also OFF. If you turn the pooo valve counterclockwise it will open the middle pool suction line and Cloe the right pool suction line.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply

So for normal operation cleaning and filtering what should they look like?

What should they look like for spa use only?

11,300 gal/ IG - Pebble tech pool & Spa / DE - Hayward Filter/2.0 HP pump single speed / Hayward cleaner/ built in early 2000's by California Pools / Taylor K2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Here is what I see.POOL.jpg
    Forgot that the spa only use valve, turn is 180 degrees counter clock wise. I'm guessing they have them set for counter clock wise turn.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for your help

I will work with that and see how she blows

Keep you posted

6. Back To Top    #6

When I had my pool put in a couple of years ago I was SHOCKED to find the valve handle convention is different than the "normal" valve handle convention. When the valve handle is perpendicular to the pipe, the valve is open. I still get confused when I look at my piping. Make sure you understand the relationship of valve handle position to the direction of flow. Wonder why they did it that way.
    April 1, 2015 first fill of infinity edge of about 15,000 gallons. Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen, iAquaLink, Jandy 2 HP variable filter pump, Jandy 2.5 HP single speed feature pump, Jandy CL580 cartridge filter, Jandy heat pump, Jandy propane heater, spa of unknown size, 3 LEDs in pool, 2 LEDs in surge pond and 1 LED in spa, Eclipse EC-10 Del Ozone oxidizer and 4 Jandy laminars with Jandy CS100 filter built by California Pools in 2015.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Here is what I see.POOL.jpg
    Forgot that the spa only use valve, turn is 180 degrees counter clock wise. I'm guessing they have them set for counter clock wise turn.
    Great job figuring out that mess of piping! After looking at your annotations, it makes a lot of sense, but no way I could have figured that out by myself.

25,000 gal, in-ground, plastered gunite, Pentair NSF 60 DE Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

That's what I said

He knows his stuff
    Great job circling and labeling
    Saved me a call to a pool guy

You guys are a true help

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

BTW, the one valve I failed to circle would allow you to divert more water back to the pool and less to the spa spillover. In most cases you do sort of just have a small spillover and return more water back to the pool.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,