Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing to cartridge -- need help with sizing 18x33 above ground

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing to cartridge -- need help with sizing 18x33 above ground

Hello,
    I want to change from sand to cartridge due to too much sand getting in the pool. It's a new 18x33, 54". I have a few questions. I'm currently running a Hayward Power Flo LX 1.0 HP piped up with 1.5" PVC.

1) How many sq. feet of cleaning surface do I need? I want near-overkill here and don't want to wish I had gotten something bigger.

2) Can an in-ground 4-cartridge system work? Something like the Hayward C3030 or a similar Pentair? The input/output fittings are on the same side of the canister on those and that situation works best for my pump/filter location.

3) If I need to stick to single cartridge filter cannister system, what make/model/sq. footage would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for some advice here.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing to cartridge -- need help with sizing 18x33 above ground

Hi, welcome to TFP
    When it comes to cartridge filters, there is no such thing as overkill. The bigger the filter, the less you will have to clean it.

The large 4 cartridge filters will work fine on your pool. I would say go with a bare minumum of 300ish sq feet. If you go bigger, then that's even better.

hope this helps,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

absolutely Dave, thank you for the quick response. I'm ready to pull the trigger on one and wanted to make sure there was no reason that it wouldn't work for me. Dave, will my 1.0 hp pump keep things moving in a large 4-filter cannister?

- - - Updated - - -

Dave, what about the Hayward SwimClear vs the Pentair Clean and Clear? Know anything about those pro/con?

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave, what about the Hayward SwimClear vs the Pentair Clean and Clear? Know anything about those pro/con?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, your pump will be fine with a cartridge filter. My C&C 520 works fine, no experience with Hayward. The C&C 320 is good.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Mike,
    your pump size is fine. No worries at all. Just dont be surprised that with a very large filter, the pressure gauge will read lower than you might expect. Don't worry though, thats normal and its because the larger filter has less restriction of water flow through it.

Both the Hayward and Pentair filters work equally well. I prefer Pentair because I like the fit and finish better than the Hayward and I like the pentair air release valve better than the Hayward one. It just seems more robust to me. I have the Pentair CC 420 and love it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

You may find this thread informative as it has lots of useful info on how to size pool hydraulic equipment - Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the Pentair Quad DE 100 and couldn't be happier. Water is extremely clean and it's very easy to maintain. As Pentair says, the clarity of DE with the convenience of cartridges.

23,000 gallon gunite chlorine pool / spa .. French Gray Pebble Sheen .. IntelliFlo VF main pump .. IntelliFlo VS spa booster pump .. WhisperFlo 1HP water feature pump .. LA01N .75HP cleaner booster pump .. Letro Legend Platinum cleaner .. Quad DE 100 filter .. Max-E-Therm 400k heater .. Rainbow 320 chlorinator .. 1.5HP blower .. Easy Touch 8 remote control .. 8 Twirlybyrd jet spa .. Paralevel .. TF-100 w/SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by KatyTXPoolOwner View Post
    I have the Pentair Quad DE 100 and couldn't be happier. Water is extremely clean and it's very easy to maintain. As Pentair says, the clarity of DE with the convenience of cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't backwash mine anymore. I simply tear it down twice per year. So in that sense it's a lot like an oversized cartridge filter with the added benefit of DE filtration.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

Went with the 3030 and the results are unbelievable. Crystal clear!!! Thanks for all the help and input you all, you are a blessing.

11. Back To Top    #11

That's awesome! Glad we could be of assistance.

enjoy
    Divin Dave,