Another newbie with pH problems

Gappy

Sep 6, 2016
Mt Gilead, Oh
My pool is green and has been most of the summer. I've tried the pool store treatments to bring down the pH but they haven't worked. On their advice I have treated for phosphates, used algeacide, multiple shock treatments, etc. I've been studying the Pool School info, so I am ready to SLAM the pool, but need to adjust the pH first. Today I added 3 quarts (96 ozs) of muriatic acid but to no avail. My test results are:

pH 8.0 acid demand 5 drops to lower to 7.0 (I know that's too low but I accidentally added an extra drop)

TA 120

CH 220

FC .5

CC 1.5

CH 220

CYA 30

This is my first time using the test kit so I hope I interpreted it right, but it seem in line with pool store test and strips.
Any ideas that may help?

Hi Gappy,
the pH kit can only test up to 8.2. If the kit reads 8.2, it may well in fact be much higher than that. So, what to do?
All we can do, and recommend, is pretend the ph is 8.2, add some acid, wait 20 minutes and test gain. Repeat the process until the pH test starts to respond.

Thanks for the input. It may sound silly, but is there a fairly simple formula to tell how long it takes to mix the chemicals throughout the water for a true test result? Your suggestion was the only thing I could think of so good to know I'm on the right track.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.