Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another newbie with pH problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Another newbie with pH problems

My pool is green and has been most of the summer. I've tried the pool store treatments to bring down the pH but they haven't worked. On their advice I have treated for phosphates, used algeacide, multiple shock treatments, etc. I've been studying the Pool School info, so I am ready to SLAM the pool, but need to adjust the pH first. Today I added 3 quarts (96 ozs) of muriatic acid but to no avail. My test results are:

pH 8.0 acid demand 5 drops to lower to 7.0 (I know that's too low but I accidentally added an extra drop)

TA 120

CH 220

FC .5

CC 1.5

CH 220

CYA 30

This is my first time using the test kit so I hope I interpreted it right, but it seem in line with pool store test and strips.
    Any ideas that may help?
    17,100 gal 27' round AG pool, Hayward power-flo lx pump 1.5hp, Hayward Dreamliner 175lb sand filter, Hayward vari-flr xl filter valve, Taylor K-2006 test kit, fill from well, Wanda the Whale vacuum cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another newbie with pH problems

Hi Gappy,
    the pH kit can only test up to 8.2. If the kit reads 8.2, it may well in fact be much higher than that. So, what to do?
    All we can do, and recommend, is pretend the ph is 8.2, add some acid, wait 20 minutes and test gain. Repeat the process until the pH test starts to respond.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the input. It may sound silly, but is there a fairly simple formula to tell how long it takes to mix the chemicals throughout the water for a true test result? Your suggestion was the only thing I could think of so good to know I'm on the right track.
    17,100 gal 27' round AG pool, Hayward power-flo lx pump 1.5hp, Hayward Dreamliner 175lb sand filter, Hayward vari-flr xl filter valve, Taylor K-2006 test kit, fill from well, Wanda the Whale vacuum cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

15 to 30 minutes usually does the trick. You can brush to help even more.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I'll get started first thing tomorrow.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to the forum!

I have moved this thread into a more appropriate forum instead of the Supporter Area. No harm done, just letting you know.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem