Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repair: Gap between liner and coping stones

1. Back To Top    #1

Repair: Gap between liner and coping stones

Hi,

I'm relatively new to pool maintenance, inheriting an existing pool with our current property in Dec 2015.

My sincere thanks to this forum for setting out the FCL/CYA relationship. I had been using multi-function tabs exclusively since the start of the season and my CYA hit 70+, at which point algae started to take hold. Having stopped the multi-function tabs (now using liquid chlorine), shocking and then changing about 1/3 water volume (CYA now ~40), my water is now in better shape - thanks again.

Slight digression aside, I'm after some advice on the structural side of the pool.

Essentially, around almost the entire perimeter of the pool there is a gap between the vinyl liner and the (bullnosed) coping stones. From inspection, I can see that the gap has variably been filled with i) mortar, ii) silicon, and iii) some form of rubberised sealant. I've attached some photos below.

I'm pretty sure that there's not supposed to be a gap here, as effectively water can leak under the coping stones and potentially behind the vinyl liner - bad on both counts. As we head towards winter, I'm feeling the need to do something about it, so broadly my questions are:

1) What is the preferred material for repairing the gap?
    2) Any installation tips?

Thanks in advance

Paul

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg
    IG vinyl, 33'x15', 3'-8' deep, rectangular, ~15K gal, Eurostar 150M pump (1hp), Lacron side mount filter, Certikin Genie MB50S boiler, 2 x skimmer, 2 x return, 0 x drain, Pentair SandShark cleaner, Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Repair: Gap between liner and coping stones

Have I asked a stupid question here? Or perhaps to the wrong part of the forum?

Thanks

Paul
    IG vinyl, 33'x15', 3'-8' deep, rectangular, ~15K gal, Eurostar 150M pump (1hp), Lacron side mount filter, Certikin Genie MB50S boiler, 2 x skimmer, 2 x return, 0 x drain, Pentair SandShark cleaner, Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Paul, I'm sorry no one has answered you yet. I myself can't answer it, but am also interested as I may have spots with the same problem. I hope we can bump this up to get noticed by some construction and repair folks .....

Yip
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Polyurethane caulk is probably the best thing to use there. That is probably what the rubbery material is.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the bump YippySkippy and for the reply pooldv.

I'll look into the polyurethane caulk option. A cursory look whilst on holiday suggests that one of the UV resilient ones look ideal. I'll finish my research and report back.

Thanks again

Paul