AGP and vacuuming?

Jul 2, 2014
Austin, TX
I'm in the process of SLAMing my 9500 gal-ish Intex metal frame pool.

Long story short, I had some major surgery this summer and the backup helpers didn't keep as close a watch on things and then it rained for probably a week straight, so algae got a little crazy!

Water is finally blue again instead of army green, but very cloudy, so the SLAM is marching on. When I brush there's lots of debris that comes up from the bottom that I can't see (leaves, etc). I have a hose-attached vacuum but it doesn't have a long handle and I'm not getting in there with it!! How do I get that junk out? Should I stop the pump so it will settle to the bottom and I can scoop it out? I attached a skimmer that has done a GREAT job of clearing the surface but all the past neglect means the bottom still has lots of stuff. (I have a great test kit and am using pool math btw)
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, you definitely need to remove any debris that may have gotten waterlogged during your summer surgery time away. Leaving it down there will make the SLAM drag-on for much longer. It would be ideal to obtain one of those extendable, telescoping poles from the local pool store (maybe even Wal-Mart) that you can attach to the end of a manual vacuum head. In addition, you could use that same extendable pole to push/pull the junk up from the bottom towards the skimmer. Some folks have used a plastic rake as well, but I'd be careful trying that with your pool since you don't want to tear the liner. Keep the pump running for your SLAM though.

Once you get all the big debris out, do yourself a solid and get the Intex auto cleaner. This little beauty is awesome at keeping the bottom clean and I think it is a great water circulator too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.