pool closing and unions

MDTroy

Jul 26, 2016
West River, MD
I'm about to attempt closing my pool here in MD on my own. Been reading and getting a lot of overwhelming info. I plan on using an air compressor to blow the lines from the filter plug. After the skimmer bubbles, what type of plug should I use in the threaded skimmer pipe to plug the line...rubber expansion plug or plastic threaded plug? When done do I have to disconnect my unions or can I just let everything as is?

I'm about to attempt closing my pool here in MD on my own. Been reading and getting a lot of overwhelming info. I plan on using an air compressor to blow the lines from the filter plug. After the skimmer bubbles, what type of plug should I use in the threaded skimmer pipe to plug the line...rubber expansion plug or plastic threaded plug? When done do I have to disconnect my unions or can I just let everything as is?

You can use Gizmo's as they protect the skimmer basket area from freezing water and ice. If you lower the water below the skimmer and plug the lines in the basket, then you can vacuum most of the water and blow out the rest. Makes closing skimmer lines easier. Do not disconnect the unions as it is not necessary.

I live in MD too and have been closing my own pool for a number of years.

First I clean and vacuum and then lower the water level below the skimmers. I have 2.

Through my skimmers I blow out all the returns and polaris line and plug them with rubber expansion plugs as the air bubbles through. I usually replace each plug twice during this process. I purchased a pool blower fan for this purpose and PVC adapted it to fit in the skimmer.

Once the returns are plugged I blow(and vacuum)any residual water out of the skimmers.

I used to pour pool antifreeze down the skimmer pipes, but I no longer do this because I feel that I get the pipes free of all water. I do put Gizmos in the skimmers and add antifreeze around them just in case.

I blow out and plug a pool filler line that I have as well.

I remove all drain plugs in my pumps, heater, and filter-- set the filter valve to winterize so it drains. I open the heater pressure relief valve. I shut off the gas. I put a box of mothballs in the heater to keep out rodents and I cover it.

I personally have unions in my system and 220 pool electric plugs and I like to take my pumps in over the winter, but many leave them out. I disconnect and bring in my automation equipment inside as well.

Before I do all this I try to make sure the water is in good balance. Over the winter I may open the cover check the FC and add clorox as needed. I have not needed algaecide. I only add mineral absorbers if testing say I need it.

I hope this helps. It can sound daunting but is really very easy. I used to pay about $600 per year to open and close my pool. Doing it myself has more than paid for the blower. I use not toxic RV antifreeze which is pretty cheap at most auto stores.

I live near potomac village. If you are nearby in maryland and would like a lesson feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.