ecoFINISH aquaBRIGHT longterm review

Kim,

I think Brian should wear lobster claw shaped kitchen mittens when he does his next job....and the nomex chonies, JUST the chonies :laughblue:

As for foot wear, I guess it's good Danny wasn't there or else they'd be walking around barefoot....

Brian,

That looks awesome man!! The flamethrower is pretty awesome.

Sounds loud, do you wear ear plugs?

Reactions: bankOman
That stuff is way too cool. I need some Perle Noire in my backyard. I think I should stop maintaining my pH so I'll have an excuse to refinish my pool! :-D

I think instead of painting my house in a couple of years, I'm going to flame spray my stucco with aquaBright!! It'll probably last a whole lot longer than the elastomeric paints they typically use (typically only get 5 years out of a paint job here in the desert).

• Haha
Reactions: SpongeBob
Brian, Can you put some on a cinder block to mess with? I love seeing how things work and what you can do to it to test it.An example of what I would like to see is "dropping" a nail on it point first or hard rake.....Have you tried to cut it with a knife? Scrape it with a nail?

Oh I know!! Make some samples and put them in "bad, unbalanced" water to see what happens! High PH, Low PH, High FC, etc. What kind of abuse can it take long term?

Kim (my poor husband is used to me "testing" things LOL)

Matt, ear plugs are a must. The process isn't all that difficult, it's just like many things in life that all of the work is in the preparation.

I'm working on another pool right now but didn't take any pictures today... Things were rather eventful and not in a good way.

- - - Updated - - -

Kim, a nail wouldn't hurt it and I can't see a rake hurting it either. What in the world are you doing to your pool???:)

Danny provided the link to the thread where I had done exactly what you had requested. It was that experimenting that led me to jump in to installing this product.

That stuff is way too cool. I need some Perle Noire in my backyard. I think I should stop maintaining my pH so I'll have an excuse to refinish my pool! :-D

I'll post a video of how flexible the stuff is. I would think this would be the solution to the cracks you are getting in your finish. Great color choice too, I really like the dark colors.

The pool in the pictures earlier was French gray. I was a little surprised it wasn't darker but I've yet to see it in daylight since it's been completed.

LOL my poor pool...........I am just thinking of all of the things that have happened in the past. If I had an in ground pool I REALLY think I would use this stuff. The dog nails alone would make it worth it. We have to keep our dog out of our pool as there is no easy way to get him out. He does have his own pond to swim in though so all is good.

I am going over to read that other thread now. You might want to put a link to it in your siggy so showcase this stuff.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi all,

It's been a while since I last posted so figured I'd give an update. I got 5 quotes for plaster and one Aquabright. It looks like our pool was painted at some point (over plaster) so all quotes include sand blasting as part of the prep. The quotes also include basic tile (~145 linear ft). We have a 40K+gal pool with spa and the deep end is about 9 ft.

Plaster quote #1 = $18,784 (quote did not include price for stepping up to aggregate finish)
Plaster quote #2 = $16,410 (quote did not include price for stepping up to aggregate finish)
Plaster quote #3 = $35,280!!! (aggregate finish was an extra $4900 - $8000) -- guess they aren't really hungry for business!
Plaster quote #4 = $22,000 (aggregate finish was an additional $4000-$5000)
Plaster quote #5 = $17,496 (aggregate finish was an additional $8000-$10000)

Aquabright quote = $22,192

Ouch this is expensive!!!

-Mike
(Northern Virginia)

I wish I could understand why plaster is so expensive on the east coast and so cheap here. I would charge 1/4 of your lowest bid and even then I'd likely be outbid by someone else that can do it cheaper.

I'm doing AquaBright for the same price as pebble and even then it's a very hard sell.

I would have expected the AquaBright to be the cheapest option since there is already a plaster layer??

In all of the plaster quotes, they have to chip out the old plaster and redo it. So labor is higher. But what about aquaBright? I thought they would just use the underlying plaster layer, not replace it?

The paint should be easily removed with a pressure washer.

The paint has to be removed with sand blasting to ensure the surface is free of paint and has something for the epoxy to bite into.

Matt, you are correct in your assumptions but the driving factor behind pricing has a lot to do with the very high material pricing. The startup costs for the equipment are high as well.

AquaBright is not an economical solution to a chip out and replaster. It is a high end finish that should be able to last a great deal longer than plaster all while remaining smooth, keeping its color and be easily repairable (should something arise).

I've found acid demand to be about 1/4 that of plaster and it should be much easier to maintain over time so perhaps some of the initial expense can be recouped as the pool ages.

I can give a little context to what Brian is saying. I was running my IntelliPH at about 60-70%. Now I'm running it at 20%. Not really a fair comparison, but my CSI is low (maybe too low), my PH is stable, (despite a TA of 130), and I have half a mind to shut the IPH off to see if it doesn't go above 7.8 with no acid.

Also, not fair, because new water vs old.

Having said that, after a month, I've used less than a gallon of MA.

So I don't think this is all ecofinish, but the Acquabright is certainly inert and helps to make PH stability easy.

Brian labor is the biggest factor for the middle portion of the US in we only work 6-8 months out of the year so you are trying to pay your crews enough that they stay around the off season . Saves on having to retrain them every year.

I wish I could understand why plaster is so expensive on the east coast and so cheap here. I would charge 1/4 of your lowest bid and even then I'd likely be outbid by someone else that can do it cheaper.

I'm doing AquaBright for the same price as pebble and even then it's a very hard sell.

I tell you right now. If we are able to purchase the house we are in right now, I will definitely be a customer! Maybe not of your company, but for sure of the local guy,

Brian labor is the biggest factor for the middle portion of the US in we only work 6-8 months out of the year so you are trying to pay your crews enough that they stay around the off season . Saves on having to retrain them every year.

I didn't think of that and it certainly makes sense. The construction industry as a whole is cutthroat here. If you can't keep a worker busy enough they'll leave and find someone who will.

Here's a new pool I just completed:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Heavy acid wash 2 days later...

4.jpg

Put my father-in -law to work since he was visiting for Thanksgiving

5.jpg

First Coat:

6.jpg

Basalt Fountains (Danny this is your Perle Noire, might be my favorite color so far)

7.jpg

Pool Stencils

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

So the third picture down is you Brian...like the sombrero and mustache...makes you look like one "bad hombre"! :laughblue:

But seriously, all those guys and no plumber's crack anywhere to be found...you run a tight crew! Oh, and the stencils look nice too :pth:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.