Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Patio/cafe lights over pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Patio/cafe lights over pool

We currently have about 250 feet of these G50 cafe lights strung across our yard and we LOVE them! Can they go over the pool? Does anyone know enough about electrical to know if these qualify as low voltage? They are 130 volt, 2.7 amps, 350 watts. I've tried to research what exactly that means but it was confusing and unclear.

G50 G40 G30 Patio and Party Globe Bulbs - Novelty Lights Inc

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Patio/cafe lights over pool

I can't answer your question but we're starting to look into lighting. Are these pretty easy to put up?

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Electricity and water never mix well. I wouldn't run any lighting or electrical OVER my pool - or even suspended nearby.

130 volt is not low voltage. The lights you referenced are probably rated at 130 volts but they plug into a 120 volt outlet. Low voltage usually refers to something in the 12-24 volt range (still something I wouldn't hang OVER or suspend near my pool).

Low voltage lighting (think Malibu lights) at ground level near the pool should be okay.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmommy2009 View Post
    I can't answer your question but we're starting to look into lighting. Are these pretty easy to put up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very easy. Hung to an eye hook mounted on our fascia board of patio roof and strung to palm tree trunks across the yard (using elastic bungee cords to allow trees the necessary growth room).

Just not sure we are going to be able to use them once the pool is in.

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by proavia View Post
    Electricity and water never mix well. I wouldn't run any lighting or electrical OVER my pool - or even suspended nearby.

130 volt is not low voltage. The lights you referenced are probably rated at 130 volts but they plug into a 120 volt outlet. Low voltage usually refers to something in the 12-24 volt range (still something I wouldn't hang OVER or suspend near my pool).

Low voltage lighting (think Malibu lights) at ground level near the pool should be okay.
    Thanks. That's what I expected but wanted to ask to be sure. I'll have to find a new home for my lights. Hopefully I can use 100-150 feet over the pool side decking as a compromise to keep some night lighting.

6. Back To Top    #6

NEC 680.9A prohibits lights over a pool less than 22.5 feet above the water. It's actually 25 feet minimum for low voltage.

Generally lights must be 10 feet horizontally from the pool but there are exceptions. Never closer than 5 feet under the 2011NEC

Florida follows the 2011NEC.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for that info. Very helpful.