Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vision Pro Above Ground Water Sanitizer

1. Back To Top    #1

Vision Pro Above Ground Water Sanitizer

Just for informational purposes and experience, I have had:

1. the original Nature 2 with sanitary cartridges from 2009-2015
    2. The new Vision Pro in 2016

I. Comments on Original Nature 2 Limited Edition:[IMG]file:///C:\Users\MyComputer\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_ image001.gif[/IMG]1. The 1st unit lasted only 1-1.5 yrs because the chlorine range knob broke in minimal position. Nature 2 replaced 100% with new unit.
    2. I have an above ground pool 18'x34' with >50% @ 7' depth.
    3. The nature 2 system worked will after installing a timer to run unit 8-10 hrs/day.
    4. I never had blond hair turn green with 3 specific continuous users during these 6 yrs.
    5. I typically ran 0.3-0.5 ppm Cl and the pool was always clear , better than drinking water and you can never smell Cl.
    6. If the pool is balanced & buffered well, the pH rarely changed.
    7. Over the last 5 yrs I only have to do the following to my pool...which is extremely low maintenance...[IMG]file:///C:\Users\MyComputer\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_ image002.gif[/IMG]

Day 1:
    a. Fill pool in May/June 1 with 3,000 Gal of water till I get return level.
    b. I typically add a specific 32 ml Algaecide from Menards at pool open - Algae X-Tra Algaecide - which is a 90 day algae killer. I do not use the foaming, blue algaecide anymore sine yrs 1-2.
    Details: Brand Name: QUALCO INC
    This excellent broad spectrum algaecide keeps pool water clear and sparkling. It is formulated with a low-dose organic copper complex that kills and prevents all types of algae including blue-green, black and mustard algae. Each application is effective for up to 3 months.

3-month no algae guarantee*
    Kills and prevents algae
    Algae prevention and control for 90 days
    Non-foaming
    Keeps pool clean and sparkling
    Proven effective and reliable
    Go to this link for an MSDS sheet and details: http://www.menards.com/main/health-w...70394879402761

c. Adjust pH to 7.5, Add conditioner for Cyanuric acid levels / Stabilizer, I may add baking soda for pH adjustment if my alkalinity is low.
    d. Add 6-8 Cl tabs to Nature 2 vessel
    e. Shock a 22-24,000 gal pool with only 1 gal of liquid Cl shock to activate the Nature 2 cartridge. Note 1 gal is for only 10,000 gal of water.

From Day 3 thru Day 100 (Sept 10th)
    a. Monitor pH & Cl Daily to 4 x/wk.
    b. Add 2 Cl tabs / wk
    c. Adjust pH if needed. With Nature 2 Limited I only adjusted pH ~ 1-2 times per yr the 1st 5 yrs.
    d. Vacuum pool bottom manually every 1-2 weeks.

That is it. If everything is in balance all you do is add ~ 2 Cl tabs / week. That's my 1st 5 year of experience.

However, the Older Nature Limited vessels were problematic. Sometimes you did not know if the Cl side was being extracted properly at times because when checking the tabs you would notice that the water level was extremely low and the tab level did not change (like a vacuum was being formed). I eventually had to crack the Cl tab side open and let it drip to ensure water was in the Cl side and being added to the pool. This caused the seals to expend, eventually melt / flow due to Cl exposure. Also the housing after 2 yrs started to melt / disappear. So I purchased a Nature 2 Vision Pro.

II. Comments on My New Vision Pro 2016:[IMG]file:///C:\Users\MyComputer\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_ image001.gif[/IMG]
    1. My 1st yr with unit and I can already tell that it is a better design. The Mineral cartridge is exposed directly with the Cl cartridge so there are no separate chambers nor splitter valves to break and no plugging, vacuum or non-siphoning effect. The unit adjusts Cl rate by rotation a large knob attached to the Cl hopper. There is an internal wall / baffle that can reduce the Cl amount when rotated.

2. This year I've had 2 people say their hair turned greenish, but it was only hair that was Died Blond. True Blonds still have no problem with the pool Cu levels for 7 yrs.
    I may have to eliminate the Menards Algaecide in that it contains ~12% copper & 26% secret ingredient? The 12% from Algaecide + 9.43% from Nature 2 may be too much? Easy fix.

3. I typically ran 0.3-0.5 ppm Cl and the pool was always clear this yr, better than drinking water and you can never smell Cl. This year levels measured at home were ~ 1-1.5 ppm (crude color scale), but pool place measured as 0.34 pp Free Cl & 0.42 ppm Total Cl.

4. pool pH has changed in the last 2 yrs, decreasing with added acid rain. Also I added stabilizer to inc Cyanuric acid lvls, Baking soda to help buffer the pool, but my Hardness is low which doesn't help to counteract the acid rain as it did when levels were higher..

5. Maintenance was extremely low this yr again. I used 1 less Cl tab per week. In reality 2-3 less per week than the Old Nature 2 limited because I had to also add a floater at times with the old system..[IMG]file:///C:\Users\MyComputer\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_ image002.gif[/IMG]

6. I only shocked the pool 1 other time in 3 months and kept 0.3-0.5 ppm Cl in the pool and no cloudy water all year long.

Day 1:
    a. Fill pool in May/June 1 with 3,000 Gal of water till I get return level.
    b. I typically add a specific 32 ml Algaecide from Menards at pool open - Algae X-Tra Algaecide
    c. Adjust pH to 7.5, Add conditioner for Cyanuric acid levels / Stabilizer, I may add baking soda for pH adjustment if my alkalinity is low.
    d. Add
    3-4 Cl tabs to Vision Pro
    e. Shock a 22-24,000 gal pool with only 1 gal of liquid Cl shock to activate the Vision Pro cartridge. Note 1 gal is for only 10,000 gal of water. I don't use high levels of Cl-

From Day 3 thru Day 100 (Sept 10th)
    a. Monitor pH & Cl Daily to 4 x/wk.
    b. Add 1-2 Cl tabs / wk
    c. Adjust pH when needed. Adjusted pH ~ 5-6 times this yr. (~ 20#)
    d. Vacuum pool bottom manually every 1-2 weeks.

That is it. If everything is in balance all you do is add ~ 1-2 Cl tabs / week. That's my 1st 7 year of experience with Nature 2 and Vision Pro from Nature 2.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vision Pro Above Ground Water Sanitizer

Well, glad its working for you. Probably helps that your small pool gets so much water exchanged too.

I personally sure don't want to pay for all that stuff myself. And I don't really want to soak in copper.... just me being kind of fussy.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Vision Pro Above Ground Water Sanitizer

Yeah, so you've had blonde hair turn green, had to "Shock" your pool anyway, and spent about 100X what I did on our pool last year. That's 3 strikes and you're out for me.
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner