which type of skimmer

MG386

Sep 10, 2016
Gilbert/AZ
I'm researching for a new pool and wondering about skimmers. One builder offers venturi skimmers and another offers traditional suction skimmer with diverter valve. I'm just wondering what you all think of the two. Does one work better in actual use? I like the idea of using return water to power the venturi skimmer leaving 100% suction to the main drain, but I don't know in actual practice which one works better. I'm in the phoenix area if that matters.

I'm planning on:

90 perimeter foot pool

7' at deep end

Waterfall grotto

In floor cleaning system (i know most don't recommend this type of cleaner)

Pentair variable speed

Intellichlor IC-40

420sq/ft cartridge

Easy touch w/screen logic

Automated valve

420sq/feet acrylic lace decking

Pebble surface

Ozone ozinator

Multi color LED light

thanks!
Mike.

If you have that venturi system, what happens if something clogs the main drain? Or if down the road you have a leak in the main drain?

I dunno, I feel safer with my standard suction skimmer and main drains. All plumbed individually so I can tweak them as I want for tasks.

The in-floor cleaner seems to be more used in your area than any place else. Someone once said it because of the desert dust you experience?

Skip the Ozone... worthless and waste of money particularly for an outdoor pool. Just keep going with the right SWG.

Yay for a deep end! All these shallow "play pools" depress me..... I like a deep end I can jump/dive/swim/float in!! The water stays a bit cooler too!

Yip :flower:

What brand and model number of infloor system? Does it include some type of leaf canister (at equipment pad or in-deck)?

What brand of venturi and/or regular skimmer? One skimmer or two?

How many gallon pool? You may want to spec out as large a filter as you can. The larger it is the less often you will need to clean it.

Consider having at least 2-4 returns plumbed in. These will allow you to choose between infloor or in wall return flow.

Have all plumbing home run to the equipment pad. Spec out Jandy Never-Lube valves. This will allow you to easily adjust suction from skimmers and main drain along with return to infloor or separate pool returns.

I'm with YippeeSkippy - skip the ozone, it's not worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Whether a venturi or regular skimmer, plumb separate from the main drain.
Diagram of Paramount venturi skimmer for reference only: Paramount Venturi Skimmer

thanks for the replies, the two systems are:

A&A manufacturing A&A In-floor MAX | A and A Manufacturing | Pool Cleaning Products
with the dual venturi skimmers and the
G4 venturi cleaning heads, G4 - Venturi Powered - Cleaning Heads | A and A Manufacturing | Pool Cleaning Products

Blue Square http://www.bluesquaremfg.com/q360-swimming-pool-infloor-cleaning-system/
single suction type skimmer and pop up heads.

Both systems use an equipment pad located leaf basket prior to pump basket.

the pool should end up 16,000 - 18,000gal and I am planning on getting the largest filter I can. I really like the idea of home runs for all plumbing to control with a 3 way. I've taken care of a pool that has the diverter spaceship in the skimmer and I don't feel like that's a good system.

thanks again for the suggestions!
Mike.

Blue Squaring is a relative new comer on the block. They're located in Chandler. I have no personal experience with their system.

I have an A&A system. It's an older model of the system you linked to. As an original owner of their product, I can tell you that they stand behind it. As with any of the systems, parts wear. A&A has replaced cleaning heads, gearsets and water diverter valve lid for me under warranty since my pool was installed - all at zero cost to me. A&A is in Phoenix.

With either manufacturer, you can call them and ask about their systems before deciding on one.

No infloor system is going to be 100% perfect all the time. I do need to run my infloor for a longer duration during/after one of our monsoon storms - and sometimes brush debris toward the main drain. But all in all I'm glad I have it - it's been pretty trouble free.

As for the SWCG - bigger is always better here too. With a larger cell, you can run at a lower output percentage and/or run the filter pump for shorter periods of time. A bigger cell will usually last longer. And running the pump for shorter periods saves electricity.

With a cartridge filter, you may want to have a 3-way Jandy valve put in between the pump and the filter. The 3rd port would go directly to waste. This would allow using the main pump when lowering the water level or draining the pool. Doing xthiswillalleviate having to use a separate sump pump when draining. As you probably already know, our water here in the valley is hard. CH in the pool will continue to increase over time (water evaporates, CH and CYA doesnt), so you will eventually need to either drain or have an RO treatment done to reduce either. Right now, with our present water rates, it's cheap to drain/refill than to have an RO done.

What model Pentair VS did you get quoted?

The Venturi skimmer has a hole in bottom to run seperate line back to pump. Usually it is connected with the main drain line using a 3-way valve. So you could use the skimmer to manual vac or just use the main drain to remove debri from bottom of pool. Just remember to use the skimmer basket socks. I like the Blue Square valve better but A & A has been around since the beginning of infloor cleaning systems

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.