New pool high ta ok to swim??

So I've been doing a lot of reading. I have a decent test kit but have the better one on order. Yesterday pool store tests says cya 0 ph 7.8 ch 500 chlorine 0 and alk 450!. Our pool is 6000 gal vinyl above ground coleman 16x48 pool. I also have an swg from intex running.

I've added 125lbs salt, gallon of bleach (before pool store test). After test ive added a bag of tri chlor shock cya in a sock and about a gallon of muriatic acid. My ph is now 7.2 my cya is unknown at this point but 6 hrs after shocking its holding at 3 according to the test I have. Alk is still high at 380 according to my test. I have a sprayer going to aerate..

Just want to know where I should go from here.. can we swim? Water is very clear and clean. Thanks

Also to note the fill water was well and was a cloudy brown yellow and sulfur smell and now it looks and smells like a pool!

Also should note that the plates in the swg are building a lot of scale quickly

Last edited:
^^ Ditto on the TA link above ^^. It will take some time but you'll get it down. Stay with it. Good to hear your well water cleared with very little effort. You're one of the few with that kind of luck. Still, you might want to review the TFP Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page since you appear to have iron in that well water (very common). Always best to be a step ahead of things.

Later, don't forget to update your signature with all of your pertinent pool stuff.

Oh ..... and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.