Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need to shock?

It seemed like every time I did the FAS-DPD test I couldn't tell if my CC was .5 or 1 - so I decided to try the test with a 25ml sample. Here were my results:

pH -7.6
    CYA - 70
    FC - 6
    CC - .8

I didn't do TA today but last it was 100 a couple days ago.

Two questions:

1. Is it fine that my FC is a little higher than recommended for my CYA?
    2. Do I need to shock at a CC of .8? I thinks it's been hovering at that for a while now.
    18'x52" All Resin AG 8,200 Gallons, Vinyl 35 Gauge Liner, Installed August 19th 2016
    Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump 14" with 1,600 gallon (6,056 L) per hour flow rate,
    120v Krystal Clear Saltwater System Cg-28663 with ~UNPLUGGED~Copper Ionizer
    Located in NY - TF100 Test Kit - K-1730 Taylor Copper Test - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    **Learning more than I could have imagined here... Thank you!**

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Do I need to shock?

How does the water look?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Water looks perfect... Do I need to worry about letting the kids swim in it? Today might be one of the last hot days of the season.
    18'x52" All Resin AG 8,200 Gallons, Vinyl 35 Gauge Liner, Installed August 19th 2016
    Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump 14" with 1,600 gallon (6,056 L) per hour flow rate,
    Located in NY - TF100 Test Kit - K-1730 Taylor Copper Test - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test

4. Back To Top    #4

They are good to go
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! I doubt we'll have many more pool days this summer so I want to squeeze in as many as possible... I'll keep an eye on it and if it gets up to 1, it will be my first SLAM!

6. Back To Top    #6

Good luck, and have fun!

7. Back To Top    #7

I just have to say, I love this site I find myself constantly on here just trying to learn and understand more. My pool looks perfect and everyone here is so nice and helpful. My hubby makes fun of me because I love using my new test kit LOL I'm actually about to go outside and get a sample to run a full set of tests now!!

8. Back To Top    #8

It is safe to swim with FC above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart, so don't be nervous at all about running FC a couple of ppm higher if you are seeing a little CC. Raising FC up to halfway between target and shock level will help clear up whatever is causing the CC.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you pooldv- I actually unintentionally raised it a bit in the past couple of days. I changed my SWG from 4 to 5 hours a day thinking I would need it because of the warm weather, but turns out I didn't. I just finished testing and here's what it was tonight:

pH 7.6
    FC 8 - a little higher than the 5 I need for my CYA
    CC 0
    TA 110
    CYA 60
    CH 25
    Salt 3400

Thanks again for the info, I'd rather throw in some bleach and have it be totally clean than run the risk of anything icky being in the water!! Especially knowing that it's still safe to swim with high FC.