Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low PSI on DE Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Low PSI on DE Filter

New homeowner here! We have a 25,000 gallon IG pool with a Pentair DE Filter. Prior homeowners did not do a great job with cleaning and maintenance.

We've gotten the hang of vacuuming and back washing. Tonight I added the step of rinsing. After rinsing, I went to start the filter in the filter position and the water was slow to go through the filter and back through the returns; almost like there was a 90 second delay. Since then, the PSI has been low-around 2-3 PSI.

Is this normal or did I screw something up? I grew up with an above ground pool with a sand filter but in grounds and DE filters are new to me.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Low PSI on DE Filter

Do you have a VS pump?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Did you add DE back into the filter?
    If so, how much?
    What's the brand and model number of your filter and pump?

Please fill out your signature with your pool details so we know what equipment you have.
    Here's how to set up your signature: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

4. Back To Top    #4

You cannot add a signature when you are mobile. I have a Pentair FNS filter 36. I fixed the issue myself by cleaning the impeller.

5. Back To Top    #5

Given you were moving the multi-port valve, I might suspect a spider gasket issue or just a valve clog of some sort. Try the recirculate mode and then back to filter.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater