Viking Pool Crack

nlindelldc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Well my one year old Viking pool developed a crack. Half of the reason why we chose Viking in the first place is because of their "lifetime warranty" on the pool shell.

So get this: They actually expect the pool owner to brace the entire pool with 2 by 6's and screws and whatnot, and then proceed to drain the pool yourself before they even show up to fix the crack! This is a joke, right? I keep thinking I'm being punked but they appear dead serious about this.

So mad right now :mad:

Buried in the warranty:

"In the event of repair, Buyer is responsible for draining and bracing the Pool, and removing all hydrostatic (ground water) from around Pool."

Paragraph 7:

http://www.vikingpools.net/literature/VP_Warranty.pdf

Wow. What a kick in the teeth. You would think that the PB would step up to the plate, but no :(

After all I've been through with this pool I am not sure how to procede. The AB epoxy I used on the crack appears to be holding but stands out like a sore thumb

My thoughts on the warranty are not printable (thank you auto censor) but:

You need to contact your installer and tell him you are making a claim under his warranty and to get his backside out there and do this work. Under Texas law there is an implied warranty that he did the work correctly and per plans. Does he want to talk to you or your lawyer?

I have already contacted the installer. They are the worst of the worst to deal with. And now that they can't get any more money out of me they will drag their feet the entire way. The real issue is that the installer never installed the pool properly to begin with, it was an absolute joke. Who's to say there wont be many more cracks to come. Where does it end? I know for a fact that I could win a court battle (I have been stockpiling evidence from the beginning). But I have learned after the fact that I would not be the first to sue this company and win a judgment. They just declare bankruptcy and keep on doing business under a different legal business name. Yeah, that's how bad it is. Worst part is that I'm not the only one either.

So frustrating

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wanted to update this thread. My PB has "decided" to come and brace the pool and drain it for me. I don't know if Viking pressured them a bit or not. Either way, Viking will be here tomorrow or the next day to repair the crack.

I'm really nervous watching my fiberglass pool being drained. All 15K gallons of it

Can you point out the crack?

In the last picture at the bottom below the bench seat you will see a white patch. I used AB epoxy under water and patched the leak temporarily myself. It slowed the leak down considerably, but didn't quite stop it. The main crack is about 2-3" long (where the patch is), but it spider-webs out from around it. I'm assuming they will patch the whole area. I'm also hoping it will at least be a close color match, unlike the one on the opposite corner that my PB did. It stands out like a sore thumb

Sorry to hear of your troubles and hope they get it sorted well for you. Ill remember this the next time someone asks about comparisons of installing a Fiberglass pool versus others. People should be aware of this rediculous clause making the owner responsible for such duties if poblems arise. Problems that obviously fall on the installers shoulders. Beyond maddening.

Thanks for the well wishes. This is a sortid tale of "do your homework before you build" more than anything. And I would say more than anything before you choose a pool builder, go to active sites where their crews are actively working and talk to the homeowners. You CANNOT rely on BBB ratings, internet ratings, etc. alone.

This pool was never installed properly and I fear this will be an ongoing issue of chasing cracks around for the rest of its' life.

We're well down the fibreglass pool path for either this fall or next spring.

What errors did they make on install? Didn't pack stairs properly? Didn't take their time doing water fill and backfill together?

Van G

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.