Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Pool Remodel Advice and Insight Needed (Pictures Inside)

1. Back To Top    #1

Thumbs up Oklahoma City Pool Remodel Advice and Insight Needed (Pictures Inside)

So...we bought our house a couple years ago and the pool and equipment came "as-is". We knew that it would need work but, have delayed as long as possible. Two copperheads appearing on our deck at our labor day party has expedited this to emergency status. The deck surrounding the pool is in just as bad shape as the pool and we will replace at the same time. In addition we have quite a bit of erosion in our backyard so putting a solid retaining wall around the pool deck area is of utmost importance.

As most people we are looking to keep costs reasonable but recognize that the cost will be substantial.

The things we are looking at now are and looking for advice on where we can save some cost but also want it to look nice:
    1. Pool resurface (approx cost $7k) - main drain isnt currently operable so might bee additional cost to get working.
    2. New Tile
    3. New coping
    4. New deck - I like the look of Flagstone as our house is Stone and siding but we are open to travertine tile or stamped concrete.
    5. Equipment - has been replaced since we moved in so I am hoping we can keep but, not sure. We definitely need new lights.
    6. Hot tub - does not have a heater and I would be fine with just demo'ing and covering up with deck.

We have met with PB that we like but would like to get a couple bids if possible. So if anyone in OKC/Edmond area please DM me. Would also love any general advice on things we need to do before we get started. THANK YOU!!!

Before pics of pool and deck:
    Pool

Deck - basically everywhere there is wood it is getting demo'd.

Erosion under deck

Retaining wall in front yard - would be interested in similar style for uniformity

Copperheads from this weekend - UGH UGH UGH

30,000 gallons, in-ground plaster, well water, Hayward tri-star pump, Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 filter. TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oklahoma City Pool Remodel Advice and Insight Needed (Pictures Inside)

Bro... you ALREADY said snake, you don't have to show me the pic!!! Now I can't sleep!!!!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

3. Back To Top    #3

Tell me about it. Only one of them is dead too. The other one is out there lurking.

30,000 gallons, in-ground plaster, well water, Hayward tri-star pump, Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 filter. TF-100 kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jordanlanderson View Post
    Tell me about it. Only one of them is dead too. The other one is out there lurking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I might have to move.

Do you have a community Facebook group or anything like that? I find those are good places to start asking for recommendations do you can get a few quality bids.

That pool will look so nice when finished! The wooden decking definitely needs to go! Decks like that have always freaked me out - even new - because you can't see what might be under them. :shudder:

There are so many good deck choices! If you want to keep costs down you could consider a spray deck. You can see pictures of ours in my thread but they have patterns and can resemble flagstone. It's cheaper than stamped and also a lot cooler on your feet.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

5. Back To Top    #5

We tried our Nextdoor neighborhood and got a few recommendations of people not to call and one good company who we are getting a bid from. Would just love a few bids to pick from.

Thank you for the spray deck idea - is there a name for the product? Is it concrete/plaster/stucco?

6. Back To Top    #6

Oklahoma City Pool Remodel Advice and Insight Needed (Pictures Inside)

We tried our Nextdoor neighborhood and got a few recommendations of people not to call and one good company who we are getting a bid from. Would just love a few bids to pick from.

Thank you for the spray deck idea - is there a name for the product? Is it concrete/plaster/stucco?

Love Nextdoor!

There are several different brands depending on the company but the product is typically called spray deck. These were some of our choices...

And this is what ours looks like:
    If I remember correctly I think we paid about $3.00/sqft. (not including concrete.)

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you again - I really like the way that looks! Added bonus if it is cooler on the feet as I have two little ones.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you again - I really like the way that looks! Added bonus if it is cooler on the feet as I have two little ones.

We're barefoot on it often. It gets warm but never too hot to stand on it, even in direct sun with it dry. Good luck!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Well....im baack and we are at the point now where I really have to decide on the plaster type and color and coping type/color as well. For the deck we are doing a slate stamp and light stain so it is not slick or too hot. My concrete guy suggested concrete coping and my pool guy is suggesting flagstone. Concrete coping is definitely more cost conscious but, I am concerned that I wont like the way it looks and it wont be (easily) fixable.

1. Has anyone done a remodel where they pulled out brick and poured concrete deck and coping and would like to send me a link to see the pictures? I've searched the forum but am having trouble finding something similar to what we are doing...

2. Im having some confusion around plaster options and their costs. I was quoted - $4000 for white plaster, $4800 for colored plaster, and $5200 for quartz. Does this sound right? When I got the written quote the quartz was actually listed as $9200 so I am guessing I misinterpreted and the quartz was an additional $5200 not $5200 total...anyone have input there?

3. Lastly if you look at my pics above do you have any recommendations for coping or plaster colors? We are think a light blue - was hoping tahoe blue quartz...

I will get some new pics uploaded quickly.

10. Back To Top    #10

Oklahoma City Pool Remodel Advice and Insight Needed (Pictures Inside)

Well....im baack and we are at the point now where I really have to decide on the plaster type and color and coping type/color as well. For the deck we are doing a slate stamp and light stain so it is not slick or too hot. My concrete guy suggested concrete coping and my pool guy is suggesting flagstone. Concrete coping is definitely more cost conscious but, I am concerned that I wont like the way it looks and it wont be (easily) fixable.

1. Has anyone done a remodel where they pulled out brick and poured concrete deck and coping and would like to send me a link to see the pictures? I've searched the forum but am having trouble finding something similar to what we are doing...
    I'm starting a reno process as well, and am looking at integrated stamped concrete decking/coping, where the pattern is uniform right up to the pool itself. In other words there's no separate coping per se.

Picture below as an example:

Free form Anthony Inground Gunnite pool installed 1991.
    Includes underwater seating bench, inbuilt Rayvac system.
    All original surface/Anthony "bronze" equipment.
    Approximately 28k gallons - approximately 21 x 36.
    Major back yard/pool renovation planning under way. Pictures coming soon.

11. Back To Top    #11

Nice idea and i like the rock border...
    Cliff, Northlake TX build by owner, IG, 22K gal, Pentair WF 2HP 2 Speed Pump, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Hayward PL Plus Pool Management, SWG T Cell-15, 2 Wheel Suction Pool Cleaner, 2 LED Hayward Color Logic 4.0 Lights, Water Features, Diamond Brite Black Onyx pool finish, TF-100 Test Kit, PoolMath App. Northlake, TX New Pool Build

12. Back To Top    #12

I really like the way that looks - mine would essentially be the same without the "stone" stamp...would be a slate stamp with similar color. Thank you for sharing!

Anyone have any comment on the plaster cost? I am still waiting to hear back from my pool subcontractor.

13. Back To Top    #13

Here is the tile we chose and is already installed.

Will post other pictures soon.

14. Back To Top    #14

I just did a remodel and went with quartz plaster, I don't have access to my paperwork right now, but I know it was roughly $1000 more than white plaster.
    Kristin in Henderson NV. Newly Renovated 07/2017, built 99/00, owned since 2012. 15k free form, IG Gunite, Barbados Blue Quartzscapes Plaster, Hayward Cartridge filter, Hayward variable speed pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Walnut Travertine deck & coping.

15. Back To Top    #15

As I get ready to fill the pool I'm worried about the high mineral content in my water (mainly calcium...I'm on well water) I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a way to filter my hose water as I fill???

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I just did a remodel and went with quartz plaster, I don't have access to my paperwork right now, but I know it was roughly $1000 more than white plaster.
    Thank you!

17. Back To Top    #17

As I get ready to fill the pool I'm worried about the high mineral content in my water (mainly calcium...I'm on well water) I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a way to filter my hose water as I fill???
    You cannot filter out calcium. Unless it is through a water softener.

Good luck.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa
    Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflow 3050VS Pump and Pentair HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!
    Marty

18. Back To Top    #18

2. Im having some confusion around plaster options and their costs. I was quoted - $4000 for white plaster, $4800 for colored plaster, and $5200 for quartz. Does this sound right? When I got the written quote the quartz was actually listed as $9200 so I am guessing I misinterpreted and the quartz was an additional $5200 not $5200 total...anyone have input there?

3. Lastly if you look at my pics above do you have any recommendations for coping or plaster colors? We are think a light blue - was hoping tahoe blue quartz...

I will get some new pics uploaded quickly.
    For ours, quartz was not 2x plaster, that seems quite high. The pebble finishes worked their way to that pricing.

Take a look at my build thread for concrete to the coping, we used our deck as the coping, the pool just sort of appears in the middle . I am very pleased. Diff style than yours - hopefully that's helpful.

In Ground Gunite Pool - UNDER CONSTRUCTION. 40x15 rectangle 3.5/5/4 sport, plus 20x5 shelf.
    Pentair TR-140 Sand Filter, Intelliflow VS Pump, Easy Touch 4, 6 GloBright LED's, Rebel Cleaner with Autofill

19. Back To Top    #19

Thank you Ryan - love your pool! My coping will be very similar just radius instead of straight. I am excited as we are moving along nicely now after significant delays and a difficult contractor situation.

20. Back To Top    #20

Some updated pics:

Plumbing will be finished today and the concrete company is stopping by to discuss final design touches. Might actually get to swim before it gets too cold! (fingers crossed)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast