Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Worth upgrading equipment pad lines from 1.5 to 2"

1. Back To Top    #1

Worth upgrading equipment pad lines from 1.5 to 2"

Hey guys

let me start by saying love the forum. Best on the web for pool care and great info.

I was was reading this article the other day,

Common Plubing Fittings For Installing Pool Equipment

about halfway down it says it's a good idea to re plumb the equipment pad to 2 " line. I currently have two 1.5 " lines coming from the pool.

What at do you guys think ? Worth doing or not so much.
    Inground fiberglass
    16 x 34 10400 gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo 2
    Pentair Clean and Clear cartridge filter
    1.5 " main drain and skimmer and two returns

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Worth upgrading equipment pad lines from 1.5 to 2"

I think that you have too much pump for your existing plumbing lines and probably bigger pump than you need for your pool if your don't have any water features. However I suspect you are fine assuming you always run your pump at relatively low speed.

Now if you are doing a major pool refurb, have the decking torn up, etc. then it may be worth it to upgrade your plumbing, add a couple of more returns, and maybe add another suction line and combine them together with larger pipes at the pad. Otherwise I would tend to say leave it.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Sid,

If your system is currently set up and running, I would not re-plumb, as I doubt there would be any advantage.

In my case, I had a couple of older pools where I wanted to add the ("too-much-pump") Intelliflo and IC40 SWG. In those cases, I updated the pad to 2" lines, just because the entire layout was changing and it made it easier to do. The lines back to the pool all remain 1.5". They seem to be working perfectly.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Cool, thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated. Don't mess with it if it's not broken lol.
    Inground fiberglass
    16 x 34 10400 gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo 2
    Pentair Clean and Clear cartridge filter
    1.5 " main drain and skimmer and two returns