SOLVED: Hot Tub Green Water Color Issue After Clean Fill - Fixed with Ahh-Some!

Re: Hot Tub Green Water Color Issue After Clean Fill - Help! Ahh-Some Convert!

Hi Scott,

How many gallons does your tub hold? I'm interested in this ahh-some maintenance dose since I'm on a well and can't repeatedly flush and fill.

Thanks!

340 gallons. He said to mix 2oz to a gallon of water and add 4oz of the mixture every seven days. Not sure it varies by size or not.

Nope this helps.

Scott

Update - 11/4/2016:

So my tub has been running for 7 weeks using dichlor / bleach method. Water has been balanced and the numbers have not been moving hardly at all. Had to increase the PH a bit to 7.8 and it put my tub at almost right on 0. I had a small scum line the next day (9/17) and then a small area that has a very small amount. Then that was it. I did rinse my filter everyday for the first 3-4 days and you could see where they had noticeable coloring on them (brownish tint) which rinsed right off using a garden hose. I have been dosing every seven days with 4oz of Ahh-Some maintenance solution and keeping the sanitizer where is should be and the water is absolutely clear.

So today, I went home at lunch and pulled the headrests - upped the bleach to 12ppm and decided to purge one last time before winter sets in in NY even thought it is still the clearest I can remember it ever being.

i put in the three teaspoons of Ahh-Some and run all jets and air. Not a lot of foam like in the past, which is a good sign (the dirtier the tub, the more the foam reacts) and I'm not seeing any brown swirls in the foam. I had a good 4" of foam but in the past it was more like 8-10" and wanted to overflow. I use a, aquarium fishnet and after the tub has run for a bit, to scoop through the foam to gather any particles or swirls that do appear. This time a few light colored swirls and some "chunks" but not alot. I'll attach a couple of pics, but remind you this is after the tub has run for the full 30 minutes, under full air, and I scooped the entire tub once before this at the 10 minute mark and then and the end. The pics are from the end of the cycle. I also have to wipe one side of the tub two or three time for a faint light brown greasy line that wiped off easily but wanted to stay ahead of it.

My plan is to let it run until tomorrow morning, with the filters still in the bottom of the tub soaking, and then drain, rinse, wipe, refill, sanitize, dump and refill. If for some reason I see alot more "stuff" come out, I'll do another purge again first.

Just wanted to follow up and a few weeks. The Ahh-Some product seems to have worked, especially along the with maintenance dose every week. But the proof will be in how the tub look when i drain and refill.

My question now is do I keep doing the maintenance dose every week or did Gerry have me do that because I had such a problem to start with? I can seem to reach him...

Pics of aquarium fishnet after scooping up depositsfrom the entire tub:

Attachments

• IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 35

I would fill and see what your chlorine demand is b4 adding a maintenance dose.

Keep in mind, on the refill, your chlorine demand will be higher after using ahh-some since the chlorine oxidizes left over product that will be in the lines.

I had a high chlorine demand for 3 days after refill then it leveled off to, at most, 2 oz of 12.5% chlorine per day with no bather activity.

Sounds like you got the nasties out of the tub based on results of your last purge, although I could not see your pictures.

Thanks for updating your findings, I appreciate the insights your are giving us.

I would fill and see what your chlorine demand is b4 adding a maintenance dose.

Keep in mind, on the refill, your chlorine demand will be higher after using ahh-some since the chlorine oxidizes left over product that will be in the lines.

I had a high chlorine demand for 3 days after refill then it leveled off to, at most, 2 oz of 12.5% chlorine per day with no bather activity.

Sounds like you got the nasties out of the tub based on results of your last purge, although I could not see your pictures.

Thanks for updating your findings, I appreciate the insights your are giving us.

Re-uploaded the pics - hopefully that works.

You up are correct on the chlorine demand - I'll be measuring FC and PH everyday for a week or two.

I did did speak with Gerry on Saturday as I was refilling my tub and he did recommend the maintenance dose but maybe at a reduced dose. This will allow "micro" purges.

But to follow up - that evening I came home and had some black brown scum where it had settlers on the sides. My guess - the bleach had to kill some gunk and after sitting it oxidized and died.

But I cycled the tub over night and drained it the next morning. The refill was very clean - no cloudy or color issues. I did add 100 gallons of soft water 5-gallons at a time to keep the CH down and the tub numbers dialed in beautifully.

I'll keep checking it - but if I didn't go through what I did 7-8 weeks ago I would be going through that now in the colder temps.

Ahh-Some worked wonders - After four years of twice a year purging with Sea-Klear, even one month after I first owned the tub, this could still happen. I guess we'll see how it does over the NY winter and purge in 6 months or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.