Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter pump

1. Back To Top    #1

filter pump

We bought our neighbors intex above ground pool. it's the standard 15ft 4ft deep. We were able to get it set up without difficulty. it has a salt water pump as well. We are having issues with the filter pump. it turns on only for a few minutes than shuts off. We have reset it (which turns it back on for about 2 to 3 minutes) than shuts off again. we have released air from the pump several times, and I have fixed the skimmer to make sure it was not clogged or connected wrong. please help.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: filter pump

Is the on/off switch the type with 3 positions, ie. always on, off, and timer? Does it have a model number printed on it anywhere?
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

3. Back To Top    #3

model number 637R I do not see an on and off switch.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Hmmm, I guess it doesn't have one. When it is running, is it pumping water into the pool? If not, my guess is that it's overheating and the thermal protection is shutting it off. It needs water moving through it to keep it cool.

You say above that you also have a salt water pump. Do you mean a saltwater generator? You don't have two pumps connected, do you? Perhaps if you could attach a picture, it would be helpful.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

yes it is pumping water into the pool. on the low port of the pool I have the skimmer connected to suction than to the top port of filter pump. I than have the filter pump going to an intex saltwater system, from there water is discharged back into the pool. we are just starting up, and was in the process of sanitizing the pool. I have the salt water system turned off, but I tried turning it on also, and the filter pump runs properly for about 5 minutes, than shuts off. I release air, and reset the pump. it turns on again for about 5 minutes and shuts off. this is my first pool so I have no clue what I'm doing.
    kyla mae

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If you have to release air each time it shuts off, it sounds like there is a suction side air leak. Once it gets primed and starts pumping water, there should not be any air in it.

Check the o-ring that goes around the lid on the top of the filter and make sure it is seated properly and isn't pinched or kinked.
    Pentair IC40 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

ok i will check this when I get home thank you

8. Back To Top    #8

ok i checked all of these things. everything was good. I noticed the gfr on the pumps plug keeps resetting. and I will reset it again and test, and it runs a little while then the reset button clicks off again.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

If you have a bad GFCI, you can replace it. Or if the socket you are plugged into has a GFCI, you can cut off the one on the pump altogether and just put on a regular plug.
    Pentair IC40 SWG