Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: UV and chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1
    SW FL

UV and chlorine

I take it that the culprit during the day that causes the loss of chlorine is UV. Now in the south the UV is a year-round issue. However, the UV index may still max out lower in the winter months.

So, has anyone with a year-round pool noticed a measurable decrease in the amount of chlorine lost in the winter vs. summer?
    8K gal IG Fiberglass (San Juan Waikiki I)
    TF-100 Testing Kit
    Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump
    Hayward Star Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Model 320 Automatic Chlorine/Bromine In-Line Feeder

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: UV and chlorine

There are other factors at play here, for one thing chlorine consumption greatly drops off with temperature decrease, this happens fairly dramaticly once the water goes below about 60F
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

+1 to that colder water, less sun, shorter days equals far less FC consumption.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Short answer is yes. The sun is lower in the sky during winter months so there is a measurable drop in incident UV radiation. Temperatures are cooler and algae reproduction rates are insignificant below 60F.

During the winter my SWG shuts off due to cold water. I typically use less than 3 gallons of bleach over 4 months.
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Tempe, AZ

Yes - far less FC use in the winter even here in AZ.

In fact I got so complacent with it last winter, that in the spring when the days got a bit longer and we got a bit warmer, my pool took on a funny green color from the algae.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x