Newbie... Cloudy after shock.

I'm a new pool owner, just bought a house with a pool. The water was nice and clear, but I took the water in for a test because I'm new to all this. The folks at the pool store said it was time to add a bag of shock to the pool, which I did. And this morning, the water is cloudy.

I know very little about the pool itself, except that it's a fiberglass, 12,000 gallon, inground "freeform" style that is shaped like 3 small round pools mushed into one.

I bought some test strips while at the store, just to see.

Everything fell into normal range, but I did what they said and here I am today with cloudy water... not terribly cloudy, I can still see the bottom. But it sure aint crystal. I am ordering a test kit, but I have company arriving this weekend, I need a clear pool.

I can see it now, "welcome to my lovely new home, enjoy the opaque pool at your leisure."

Now what??!

Welcome to TFP!

First step is to run your pump around the clock until the water clears.

Second step is to quit listening to the pool store.

Chances are they had you add a calcium hypochlorite shock and that can cause cloudy water.

Hey there BeautyPoolDropout :) Love the name!

I would suggest ordering the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net That's the one most of us trust, and it has the most reagents for the tests we do the most (FC,CC,TA,pH) unlike the Taylor kit (which is a great kit, but small reagent bottles).

Then you get to play home chemist (pffffft... it's easy, I promise! But it looks way cool and will impress friends and family) and can address any problems when you tell us all your test results.

We're free, the test kit is $70 but will save you HUNDREDS (promise!) and your pool will look better than its ever looked ;)

Yip:flower:

*(use bleach instead of any powder or puck like product)

hi Beauty :handwave:
I would add half a gallon of bleach per day to your pool, slowly in front of the return, while you wait on your test kit
Fill out your signature with your pool equipment
Fill out your details in pool math (at top of page) and read up in pool school on how to use it.
Keep posting your questions here so we can help

BTW loved your post, great humour

Got it.

Will do. It was a powder... I've read a lot today.

Powder = bad
Liquid = good
Pool store = racket
Chemistry = not my subject

Haha

LOL!

The good thing is that the testing instructions in the TFT-100 kit are very precise and the tests are easy to perform. Once you get some results this forum can provide you with the steps to turn your pool around (understanding the chemistry the harder part).

Fill out your signature so we know the details of what your are dealing with.

You'll be so glad you found this place so soon into pool ownership.

Welcome!

I'm just here to say kudos on the awesome name and the very succinct "powder = BAD" post. i've got Frankie Avalon and Frankenstein running through my head now. Ha!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and we are going to need to see photos of that pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.