Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TFP Kit problems

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Kit problems

I have the TF-100 kit, it has worked well all summer. I have an issue that I'm puzzled about. My chlorine testing tube has gradually acquired black residue on the sides, and my chlorine power itself has turned black.

I've been obsessive about trying to keep the powder dry, so I don't think any water got in there. I rinsed the tube and scooper after each use as well, but they still turned black. Is this normal? The powder seems to still work just fine even though it's discolored. I need to buy some replacement regents, but I want to avoid this happening again. Any ideas?
    In-ground 15x30 concrete pool with vinyl liner
    Sand filter, Hayward Pump, Hayward H200 heater
    Rehab thread: Pool rehab, need advice

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: TFP Kit problems

Where do you store your kit?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a cabinet on the patio by the pool that I store it in.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I suspect that it's a temperature issue. Most of the time it is recommended to be kept in a cool, dry place. I have mine on a shelf by the door leading out into the backyard.

I have read that some folks have had the darkening issue with the chlorine vial, but I don't remember what they do about it. Sorry! I'll see wwhatI can dig up and maybe someone else will have useful info to offer.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

5. Back To Top    #5

Try cleaning the tube with either white vinegar or diluted (5:1) water and muriatic acid.

Humidity will kill your test kit. They should always be kept indoors in a cool, dry place.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll bet the black is above the fill line that is your test sample high water mark. I had the same thing happen. It's residue from the powder from when you swirl the sample. I used goo-gone because it's rather sticky. I first tried to just wipe it with a paper towel but it 'bound up' the towel and wouldn't wipe off. I don't think the 'goo-gone' affects my testing at all. I just put a drop or 2 on the towel and wiped with that. It took a fair amount of rubbing, but worked.
    32+ yr old (1982), 20x40, 17k; kidney, IG w/spa,
    gunite, Apollo VA38 DE filter, sta-rite lp gas heater,
    polaris cleaner w/auxiliary pump, chlorine

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, this is exactly it. It's at the high water mark for swirling. Great suggestion on the goo gone. I've tried a paper towel as well without luck.

I do keep the kit outside, I'm guessing it's a temperature issue. I'm going to purchase replacement regents and see if keeping things inside helps.

8. Back To Top    #8

Alternatively spend an extra $2.50 when you get your refills and buy a fresh calibrated cylinder
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

My only other comment is that I would not use Goo-Gone in the sample tube. I love the stuff too, but it is petroleum distillates with citrus based organics (mostly limonene) in it. It can dissolve certain types of plastics and it will most definitely leave an organic residue on the surface. If you want to try a solvent based approach, use 91% isopropyl alcohol (you can get it at any pharmacy store). Taylor actually advises to use of IPA on some of its hardware components (ex, the Unit Dose Dispenser) as a way of cleaning the item and leaving a water-free and residue free surface. IPA absorbs water and forms an azeotropic mixture which evaporates and leaves no reside.

Leave the goo gone for removing sticky labels and don't use it to clean sample tubes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Alternatively spend an extra $2.50 when you get your refills and buy a fresh calibrated cylinder

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10
    TFP Guide

++ That's what I'm going to do. My graduations are wearing off
    35K gallon Krystle Krete (Plaster) - Sand Filter - TF100
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

11. Back To Top    #11

If you want to splurge some get the Taylor Sample sizer too, the only bad thing about it, is that it only works in the genuine Taylor branded graduated cylinders and they cost about $4.50 each
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

12. Back To Top    #12

If you want to splurge some get the Taylor Sample sizer too, the only bad thing about it, is that it only works in the genuine Taylor branded graduated cylinders and they cost about $4.50 each
    I LOVE my SampleSizer!! I'm thinking of getting the one designed for 44mL samples as well (2000 series comparator block)
    Matt

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I LOVE my SampleSizer!! I'm thinking of getting the one designed for 44mL samples as well (2000 series comparator block)
    Could you post a link to this item? It would be nice to know where to purchase a 10ml, 25ml, and 44ml sampler.
    19328 Gallon Above Ground Pool. Clean&Clear Pentair Cartridge Filter. Opti-flo 2 Stage Pump. Established April 2016. Taylor K-2006. Chlorine Based.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFTestkits.net this is the 10 / 25 ml one (flip it one way for 10 ml flip it the other way for 25)

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Holydoc View Post
    Could you post a link to this item? It would be nice to know where to purchase a 10ml, 25ml, and 44ml sampler.
    I know Amazon has the 10/25mL SampleSizer but not the 44mL one. I think you can only get that one from the Taylor website directly.

As Isaac-1 said, they can only be used with genuine Taylor test tubes.
    Matt

16. Back To Top    #16

I plan on buying a new scoop and new cylinder, I'm just concerned about it happening again. And if the chlorine test is still reliable if it's discolored.

17. Back To Top    #17

I had the same issue with my FC powder. It got way worse when I left the top off outside in the patio one time so I'm pretty sure humidity caused the issue. I used Bon Ami to clean the cylinder. It did scratch the inside of the tube very slightly but got rid of the black stains on the inside and no effect on the measurement. Also, I purchased a 60 ml syringe (no needle) to fill the test cylinders. It's enough to run all the tests and makes filling the cylinders precisely very easy.

I hope this helps.

Chris
    -Chris-
    2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump,Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

I have used the DPD powder when it was almost black and found it to function normally. Humidity is the cause and it is certainly not good for the powder but I don't think there is much loss of effectiveness.

As long as the powder turns the solution pink (of course, you have to have chlorine in it), the results will be accurate.

Perform you tests indoors. Leaving the kit outside just isn't good for the kit and you will be able to perform your tests in the comfort of your kitchen with great accuracy. I got so used to doing it I could do my CYA test indoors and get reasonable results.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I have used the DPD powder when it was almost black and found it to function normally. Humidity is the cause and it is certainly not good for the powder but I don't think there is much loss of effectiveness.

As long as the powder turns the solution pink (of course, you have to have chlorine in it), the results will be accurate.

Perform you tests indoors. Leaving the kit outside just isn't good for the kit and you will be able to perform your tests in the comfort of your kitchen with great accuracy. I got so used to doing it I could do my CYA test indoors and get reasonable results.
    Dave,

It did indeed work as you mentioned. But it still kept staining the cylinder. Since I was almost out I just replaced it. This was definitely the result of operator carelessness and I learned the lesson quickly. I still test outside because of "happy wife happy life" principle. But now I only do the test outside and never leave the kit outside for more than the test time, plus I cap the powder container right after I scoop. So far this has worked fine.

Chris
    -Chris-
    2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump,Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

I mix thje tiniest amount of muriatic acid (about 1/8 cup) with about twice that much water and pour it in the cylinder. The black will disappear before your eyes or will require very little to get it clean. I know the muriatic is troublesome but it absolutely works.

Take that blackened cylinder and fill it with vinegar and leave overnight. I have never done that but I'll bet it will clear the cylinder.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast